• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

General HP40W

The Jerk

May 6, 2008
Reading, PA
Well, I received a new General HP40W from DTB and got around to installing it last night. So far so good, it gets good reports on air. I installed this in a 2012 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L, and as far as I can tell...the radio hasn't made any impact on the truck's operation. My main concern was RFI and the resulting interference with the truck's electronics.

I need to move the grounding point (pretty sure its the ground, got a tad of alternator whine that I didn't have before but I'm also tied into the power and ground differently than with the previous radio), but the receive seems fairly quiet and sensitive. When there is no background RFI (e.g. power lines), you can run the receive wide open, and there is barely a hiss. I did have DTB install his Schottky diode upgrade, so I don't know about the before/after.

I haven't put a watt meter on it, but DTB indicated he set low for 7 watts and high around 20, with forward swing on high around 95-100 watts. I got good reports this morning, regardless of whether I was running echo /no echo, or my RK56 versus the stock Ranger SRA198. I will probably run the Ranger microphone as my RK56 is nearly 15 years old, and has been through many radios and cars in that time.

My only one single complaint about the radio is the talkback...it sounds scratchy for lack of a better term (regardless of microphone used)? Again, every on air report came back "crystal clear", so its likely the internal speaker. I have an external I will probably hook up, see if that makes a difference. That makes setting the echo up (which I haven't had echo in a long time, so that might be the problem more so) difficult.

The only other thing I could complain about is the power wire, and not because its got a different plug or because its heavy wire...they install the plug on one end and fuses on both lead at the other end. This makes it impossible to fish the wires around a car interior. I ended up cutting the fuses off, running the wire where I wanted, then soldering the fuse holders back on. May be a problem for some, may not be a problem for others...for me, there was no getting the lead through the firewall grommet without cutting one or the other end off.

To finish the install, I just need to get the power leads hooked up through a relay (or possibly relays to ensure enough load carrying capacity) that's controlled by the ignition, maybe put a watt meter on it, and verify the SWR didn't change significantly (it was 1:1, so I figure it will still be 1:1 since nothing about the antenna changed).

Well got to use the radio on a short trip...

The receive is absolutely awesome. Once the skip quieted down, I was able to hear a working girl's station from the 102 mile marker that was broadcasting from the 42. Considering that is 60 miles (highway), and the best I have ever heard them before was from the 78 mile marker; I'm happy. And this was even during a nice rainy, foggy evening, not a nice tranquil night...and it wasn't just once barely, it was from that point the rest of the ride to my exit. The receive is also incredibly quiet once the skip settles down...you can run the gain wide open without hardly a hiss, and there are stations there!

The amplifier stays nice and cool on low, and barely gets warm on high. I'm getting good reports. I have officially lost my power meter in my house, so I was not able to get any power readings. I seem to be making the trip. I had one guy tell me that my signal was great and it sounded like I was sitting in the cab next to him, loud with no background noise.

Again, not a single interference issue with any of the truck's electronics. I was able to verify my previous SWR reading on my Wilson 5000 at less than 1.1 to 1, and the SWR does not change with power output on the radio (changing from high to low).

Overall, very pleased with the purchase...

Nice Radio,good report. If you have a second radio plug it into the truck power port 12 volt with out an antenna and use it to set up the echo thru the receive. I have a base and used a cell-phone at the base speaker to receive from the mobil to set up the echo plugged in the headphones. there was a little cell phone delay though. a second radio works good and is easy.

Echo is one of those things that is listener dependent anyway...what someone else may like, may sound horrible to someone else. I probably won't run the echo, not really sure its needed?

OK, I broke down and bought a cheapie RadioShack SWR-Power Meter today. Hooked it up...here are the settings:

Low 7-8 key, 40-50 PEP
High 20-22 key, 90-110 PEP

Keep in mind this was on PEP and is just a cheapie RS meter. Those are nice numbers for the flip of a switch.

I am just back from vacation.....Sounds like the radio is doing the job, and with some nice numbers on the RS meter. That radio is on my list but I have to many radios now......

Just as a followup...this thing must sound good. Every time I key up, I get asked "what kind of radio is that, it sounds good", it doesn't matter where I'm at, I always get asked that.

So far, nothing detrimental to the truck.

Even though its only running about 7/30 and 25/100, it seems to have no issues making the contact, even on low. I did figure out there is no fan on the heat sinks, and if you talk for a while on high; the heat sink gets warm (but not hot).

I also feel the receive mod was a very good thing to have done...there is almost no hiss and at low RX weak stations are still understandable.

Well, over a year later...

Radio has performed well...still getting good reports, I did swap over and permanently installed my Aries power/SWR meter and a external speaker.

With the Aries, I'm seeing about 6 watts swinging 25 and 25 watts swinging to around 80...but I want to remember the Aries isn't real good at PEP readings.

Only one slight annoyance. These radios do indeed have a cooling fan built into the linear section, and mine is noisy. The first time it came on was after about five hours on the road, and I thought the radio was arcing out internally. The next day I figured out it has a fan (I was told it didn't), and that the fan is noisy. Problem is, its not considered a warranty issue and I guess its a PITA to replace...so I am living with it for now.

Definitely a radio worth looking into if you don't want bells and whistles...

Reactions: Slowmover
You couldn't run a quiet auxiliary fan on your HP40? I was looking at the General HP40 sometime back. It looks like a great radio for AM use. DTB tunes them up with a sensitive receive. I usually have to turn my DTB tuned radios RF gain down 1/4 turn. Of all my radios,the CRE-8900 is the quietest when conditions quiet down at night and it as a real quiet receive. I bought a Ranger SRA-198 mic recently. I use the 198,636L,and my Road devil mic on my Galaxy DX-959. I get great radio reports with my 198 and my 959. I noticed that I have to keep my mouth right up against the lip guard on the 198 mic. It has a smoother sound than my 636L and Road Devil. With the RD and the 636L I'm always having to watch my 959's modulation meter to keep from over modulation( turned up VR16 a smidge over 100%).
Quality over quantity.

Reactions: Slowmover
Seems consistent with tune I had done by DTB on an older (2014) GALAXY DX-99V2 yesterday. (Reason I posted).

No mods to receive (probably not as quiet), but back down RF GAIN a tad and all is good (daylight running in PA & NY today).

Another operator with a decent radio rig comes in in a spectacular manner when within a few miles. Weaker rigs (and at a good distance) sound like before (acceptable).

In far rural areas could open it up. Faint skip started to really come on. Clarity increase, not just “volume” in upping RF Gain.

DSP Speaker is — as always — the game changer. Good tune just makes it stand out more.

A few weekdays of running and I’ll get settings nailed down.

Hope that General is still at work for the OP.

You couldn't run a quiet auxiliary fan on your HP40? I was looking at the General HP40 sometime back. It looks like a great radio for AM use. DTB tunes them up with a sensitive receive. I usually have to turn my DTB tuned radios RF gain down 1/4 turn. Of all my radios,the CRE-8900 is the quietest when conditions quiet down at night and it as a real quiet receive. I bought a Ranger SRA-198 mic recently. I use the 198,636L,and my Road devil mic on my Galaxy DX-959. I get great radio reports with my 198 and my 959. I noticed that I have to keep my mouth right up against the lip guard on the 198 mic. It has a smoother sound than my 636L and Road Devil. With the RD and the 636L I'm always having to watch my 959's modulation meter to keep from over modulation( turned up VR16 a smidge over 100%).
Quality over quantity.

I’ll dig out one of my SRA-198s and give it a second shot once back home.

Have the original A636L I’ve always used, and just had a report that the RK-56 swapped in comes on a bit louder (several settings of ECHO/DELAY/GAIN/Radio Power versus KL-203 tried).

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.