• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

General Radiotelephone super MC 11

Nice radios. Known for having nice strong AM audio. I've heard the MC11 and MC12 on the air (Actually had a QSO with 3 guys all using restored ones on the air last year) and they both sound excellent.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Oh you mean the "Junky Generals" as there were once called. Don't why they had very loud and proud Audio. We used the plug in the back of the radio which was wired to allow a resistor in line with the final transmit Tube to have a little more voltage and a few more watts output. But after we discovered the strapped radios had less audio that did the stock radios, so we removed the jumper plug on the back of the radio to get less watts but more audio. Took us a while to figure that all out.

The Super MC12 radios were just like the MC-11A Radios, except the circuit used two 6BQ5 tubes as the audio modulator, as the MC11A used a single two having two tubes inside. So the MC12 had a little more audio. The MC-11 radios used a German made for the audio modulator Part Number ECLL800 still available on E-Bay for around 50 dollars for two each.

I knew the Technicians at Generalradio Telephone real well as I blew up dear old Dads Super MC-11A many times. That was modified buy the techs at Generalradio Telephone on Burbank Blvd in down town Burbank.

Its worth being made to work or restored. Used a non amplified D-104 mic, feeding a D&A Maverick 250 Amp into a Moonraker 4 at 50 feet. What came over the speaker we could talk to. Enjoy!

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

It's a great winter project that I would love to restore again if I had another one. Years ago I had a couple MC-5’s and a MC-8. Although the tunable receive on the MC-5’s would never stay calibrated, I still admired the double conversion receiver and the transmit audio. An old Olson pill style desk mic that I used sounded perrrfect on them. Hopefully all the crystals in that turret can at least be tweaked within reasonable tolerance. At this late date, odds are a few of them will be far off frequency, but that’s usually not a big issue once you decide it’s a keeper. If you’re like me, you will probably buy a beater for replacement parts anyway. To complement the station, the General SWR meter along side would look nice. There’s plenty of those available.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Yes R45 its marked on the schematic diagram as being set for 5 watts. So you know CB'ers are gonna strap it or some put another 47K resistor in parallel with it to get the magic few extra watts. Then we had to add a attenuator in our linears to sound good. Oh yeah we was some "Big Strapes"

Hello AK: Suggest you have a local Tech or CB shop wire one up. Mic's are all over and the radio diagram is on CBtricks.com

Oh you mean the "Junky Generals" as there were once called. Don't why they had very loud and proud Audio. We used the plug in the back of the radio which was wired to allow a resistor in line with the final transmit Tube to have a little more voltage and a few more watts output. But after we discovered the strapped radios had less audio that did the stock radios, so we removed the jumper plug on the back of the radio to get less watts but more audio. Took us a while to figure that all out.

The Super MC12 radios were just like the MC-11A Radios, except the circuit used two 6BQ5 tubes as the audio modulator, as the MC11A used a single two having two tubes inside. So the MC12 had a little more audio. The MC-11 radios used a German made for the audio modulator Part Number ECLL800 still available on E-Bay for around 50 dollars for two each.

I knew the Technicians at Generalradio Telephone real well as I blew up dear old Dads Super MC-11A many times. That was modified buy the techs at Generalradio Telephone on Burbank Blvd in down town Burbank.

Its worth being made to work or restored. Used a non amplified D-104 mic, feeding a D&A Maverick 250 Amp into a Moonraker 4 at 50 feet. What came over the speaker we could talk to. Enjoy!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.