• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Generic timer switch?

338_MtRushmore

Jun 17, 2012
The Dakotas
Does anyone know where to find a timer switch that upon activation from a momentary on will supply switched power for a predetermined time, then switch itself off?

A 555 timer chip wired in monostable mode (if the time duration does not need to be extremely precise or very long).

a common way to do something like this would be to use a latching relay setup.

here is a link where you can start learning about them:

in the most basic sense, once the coil of the relay gets a pulse of a certain polarity, it energizes the coil and it holds there until a pulse of the opposite polarity is applied.
LC

a common way to do something like this would be to use a latching relay setup.

here is a link where you can start learning about them:

in the most basic sense, once the coil of the relay gets a pulse of a certain polarity, it energizes the coil and it holds there until a pulse of the opposite polarity is applied.
LC
The relay isn't a huge problem, it's the timer to shut it off that is my problem.

Built something like this into a portable AM/FM radio decades ago. Was for my younger daughter, around age five. In the hands of a child the battery usually lasts until the first time the youngster walks away from it turned on. Just plays until the battery is exhausted. Found the circuit in a magazine. Had a NPN transistor in line with the positive battery lead. A CMOS hex inverter like a 74C14 had all six sections wired in parallel, connected to the transistor's base lead. This gave the transistor more drive current. When the chip's output pins were high, the radio would play. The chip's inputs had an electrolytic capacitor to ground, a 10 megohm resistor to the battery + voltage. So long as the capacitor was charged up, the chip inputs were high. Output pins would be low, and the NPN transistor turned off. The last component was a momentary normally-open pushbutton switch. It was wired in parallel with the electrolytic cap. Pushing the button shorted the cap to zero Volts. Ouput went to full high voltage, turning on the transistor. The 10 meg resistor would slowly charge it up. When the capacitor voltage reached the chip's input threshold, the outputs would fall back to zero and shut off the radio. Seems to me a 100uf cap was good for about ten minutes. Seemed like a believable attention span for a five-year old. The CMOS chip draws practically no current in the "off" state.

Worked as intended. The batteries lasted for weeks. Until the first time it fell face down. This kept the pushbutton closed, and ran down the battery.

Hadn't thought of that. Two weeks was still better than two days.

Built something like this into a portable AM/FM radio decades ago. Was for my younger daughter, around age five. In the hands of a child the battery usually lasts until the first time the youngster walks away from it turned on. Just plays until the battery is exhausted. Found the circuit in a magazine. Had a NPN transistor in line with the positive battery lead. A CMOS hex inverter like a 74C14 had all six sections wired in parallel, connected to the transistor's base lead. This gave the transistor more drive current. When the chip's output pins were high, the radio would play. The chip's inputs had an electrolytic capacitor to ground, a 10 megohm resistor to the battery + voltage. So long as the capacitor was charged up, the chip inputs were high. Output pins would be low, and the NPN transistor turned off. The last component was a momentary normally-open pushbutton switch. It was wired in parallel with the electrolytic cap. Pushing the button shorted the cap to zero Volts. Ouput went to full high voltage, turning on the transistor. The 10 meg resistor would slowly charge it up. When the capacitor voltage reached the chip's input threshold, the outputs would fall back to zero and shut off the radio. Seems to me a 100uf cap was good for about ten minutes. Seemed like a believable attention span for a five-year old. The CMOS chip draws practically no current in the "off" state.

Worked as intended. The batteries lasted for weeks. Until the first time it fell face down. This kept the pushbutton closed, and ran down the battery.

Hadn't thought of that. Two weeks was still better than two days.

Thanks once again nomad. It's almost too simple, but I'm glad I finally understand a circuit you posted

You need to use a 'true off-delay' timer, that is available 'off-the-shelf'.

Here's the schematic.

1.png

When the push button switch is momentarily actuated, the timer contact closes and the load is energised.

The load is de-energised when the timer contact opens after the set time has elapsed.

'True off-delay' timers are available with various operating voltages.

Nandu.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.