• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Getting a new HT, I have a few questions.

Brandon1

Mar 22, 2010
Youngsville, NC
I am getting my tech in 2 weeks, and probably picking up aVX6, VX7 or VX8.

I also take my boat offshore about 10-15 times per year, the rest of the time it sits in a wet slip at the house. Will I be able to program in the frequencies of a normal VHF marine radio, and use my HT like a marine radio? I have read that this could be illegal, but as long as you arent being a bugger, its looked over. It would be nice to have my HT on the boat, as my current VHF does not work very well. Do I need a different antenna for marine?

Also, would the VX6/VX7/VX8 be able to receive weather? I think the VX7 and VX8 has weather programed in, but how about the VX6? It would also be nice to receive weather reports on the radio.

I know that the VX8 has the Marine Freqs preinstalled from the factory....which was a surprise to me. I have the RT Solutions software and one of the tabs is for the marine band and each freq can be toggled on and off as desired. You can also assign it its own bank from 24 usable banks. The VX8 also has weather preinstalled in the same fashion...but I think the others do as well. The VX8 is modable for wideband Tx...there are some post about it on here with detailed how to's. Software mods and the other under the battery. Good luck on the tech...I'm studying for the General right now and plan to take it in about two weeks too.

73's John KE4HGR

The VX-8R has VHF marine frequencies programed in as one of the special banks, however it will not allow transmission on any of the special bank frequencies. In order to transmit on the desired frequencies, you will have to perform the wide band mod which is very easy for someone with fair dexterity. You will then be able to program marine frequencies into the regular transceiver memories. The VX-8R will probably not perform better than your dedicated marine radio unless you install a 156MHz-162MHz specific antenna.

If you are looking for the best marine performance, install an actual full powered marine radio with a full sized, hard mounted antenna. There will be no comparison at all with a hand held radio. When I'm on waters where any perilous situation could develop requiring communication with the Coast Guard, etc, I want the highest safety factor possible. That means a 25 watt radio with the highest antenna possible.

Also, would the VX6/VX7/VX8 be able to receive weather? I think the VX7 and VX8 has weather programed in, but how about the VX6? It would also be nice to receive weather reports on the radio.

If I remember correctly, all the VX series radios will receive WX. Most (all?) have them already pre-programmed as special memories. Any of these radios will work on VHF Marine after mods in a pinch, but I wouldn't rely on them for my only radio. The VX8 is submersible, so that's worth something. No amateur radio will have DSC, which is critical for the USCG to find you in an emergency. Spend the extra money on a real VHF Marine radio...you need it.

As I understand you wish to use the HT also on the boat, I would suggest you to buy the VX-8R or the VX-8DR that have APRS capabilities!

I mean I have a real VHF radio, but it would be nice to have this as a backup.

Thanks for the help guys!

Ok then yes, all three Yaesu radios you mentioned will handle the marine frequencies as well as WX. I have honestly never ever used the 6meter or 1.25meter capabilities of my VX-8R, mainly because there are no 220 or 6meter repeaters in my area. I have not really used the APRS feature either because I kind of don't get the point of it.

If you live and play within range of a 6 meter or 220 repeater, I'd go for the VX-7. If you really want to play with APRS, get the VX-8. If you are not interested in either, save a lot of money and get the VX-6.

They will all make fine Marine VHF backups if you are not interested in beaconing.

Good luck on the test.

I may just get the VX-8R. There are 440, 6m and 2m repeaters within 5 miles of me, and 440, 6, 2 and 1.25 in the big city within 20miles of me.

What would I expect to pay for a new VX-8R at a ham-fest type event? They are $390 shipped on universal radio.com, would I do better waiting?

EDIT: I am working with a seller to buy a LNIB VX-8R for $340 shipped.

Last edited:
Make sure it's a good seller. I'd rather get new and have a little more peace of mind.

He has perfect feedback on several forums. My problem is, I just found out at HRO they are $359 with free shipping. I offered him $320. I wont buy used to save only $13.

Good luck on your tech. I got mine 10 days ago and I am having a blast. I would just order it from HRO & be done with it. The only used I will buy is from a local club member.

I went to my first Hamfest and HRO was there. I was going to buy the XR. The HRO manager and several hams were happy to show me what their HT's would do. I ended up with an FT-60R and saved a ton. I bought a Diamond upgrade rubber duck & that made very little difference in the foothills of NC. I bought a Comet Jumper, then hooked it up to my Comet 790A mobile antenna, and WOW. 5 watts will hit most every repeater within 40 miles. I was so impressed I just order a 38" Comet 2M/440 and a Larson single magnet mount. I can mount it on my 4 high file cabinet in the office, take it on my deck and mount it on my huge grill, or stick it on my other vehicles and take the HT with me without removing my 8800R mobile.

If 2M/440 is enough for you, the 60R has the same scanning set up, tons of memory and great battery life. It also has NOAA programmed in, plus the severe weather alert feature.

IF you don't have the GPS feature on your Marine rig, then I would definitely for with the higher dollar rigs. Not sure if they have the tracking device options, but that would be a must for me offshore. I know the 8R is submersible, but you could probably get buy with storing it in a couple of zip locks if it's a back up only. Even as a back up, your going to need the best antenna you can afford for it to be of use. Spare battery packs are a must, and you can get a cig. lighter adapter also.

I did see on ebay you can order Yaesu batteries, not generic direct from China that are tons cheaper. Just look at the MFG. date before you buy. the ones I saw were the same run as the one that came with my HT and the spare I got from HRO.

Keep us posted and I'll report back Thursday how the new antenna does with my HT.

Hey thanks for the advice!

I am just thinking that for $359 shipped, I would just order it from them. The other guy has been real great to deal with, but even at $320 for used I am only saving $40, I'd rather buy new for that.

I cant wait to get it in and do some fiddling. Really cant wait to get my tech and do some transmitting.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.