• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Getting back into SWL DX after 6 year absence.

john m rapp

Aug 31, 2020
Sold my Yaesu FRG-7700 six years ago. Now getting back into it due to lack of other activities because of Corvid-19 crap.

Just ordered an Icon IC-R71A receiver. With my FRG-7700 I had a lot of noise. Installed a 6 foot ground about 25 feet in my back yard and that solved the noise problem. Now I cannot locate the ground even with a metal detector. Go figure. So I will just pound in another one near my office on the ground floor. It is on the side of the house in the front. In the back are two A/C units and the power company meter on the back corner.

I plan to pound in the new copper ground rod close to the front of the house away from the back corner with the power company meter and 2 a/c units. Is this the best idea?

Thanks

Reactions: Tokin

Here is an update. Put in a 60' DX-swl sloper, two copper grounds, the old one and a new one just to be sure. Received my Icom R71A receiver and it is in perfect cosmetic condition and operated as expected. No external noise issues so I guess the R71A is handling them properly. Have ordered a Timewave 59+ DSP and am looking for an Icom SP-3 external speaker. Anyone have one to sell or know of one that is for sale, email me at jmrapp7@gmail.com. Thanks.

I use to love swl but now its all religious and non english. Still some stations to listen to though.even pirate, utility, numbers etc are not what they use to be. Radio habana cuba is always interesting. Its still fun though

SWL even back in the 80's was great. I was into AM broadcast band and longwave DXing then and it was amazing what you could hear in between the 10KHz Nirth American channel assignments. The rest of the world uses 9 KHz spacing so there are a l9t of places on the bands European, Asian, and African stations can be heard if you have decent gear and know how to make the most of it. Having a 600 foot long antenna wire helped too.:D;)

Reactions: 357magnum
https://www.hamestate.com/product/icom-external-speaker-ic-sp3/

RADIOHF - Icom SP3 external speaker
I have a nice external Icom SP3 speaker sounds great one small paint defect on top back $50 plus $10 to ship pics on request
Listing #1505688 - Submitted on 09/12/20 by Callsign WA0RRZ - IP: 67-6-79-142.clma.centurylink.net
Click Here to Email -- Send this Ad to a Friend

https://swap.qth.com/search-results.php?startnum=10&keywords=speaker&fieldtosearch=TitleOrDesc

MISC - F/S ICOM SP-23 FILTERED SPEAKER
ICOM SP- 23 FILTERED SPEAKER. HAS SOME TINY SCRATCH MARKS ON TOP
140.00 AND BUYER PAYS SHIPPING
Listing #1504881 - Submitted on 09/07/20 by Callsign NC4AM - IP: cpe-065-188-151-156.triad.res.rr.com
Click Here to Email -- Send this Ad to a Friend

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/ico-sp-33

Reactions: 357magnum
Sold my Yaesu FRG-7700 six years ago. Now getting back into it due to lack of other activities because of Corvid-19 crap.

Thanks
I just got back into SWL after selling off some radio stuff a few years ago. Recently sold a clarinet, keyboard, several RC cars, and a Uniden scanner that was totally deaf in my highly encrypted area.

So now into a renewed hobby.

Just installed an SDRdx/uno on my computer to supplement my Grundig Satallit 750. I'm currently experimenting with antennae and noise reduction with my MFJ 1029. Expect to receive the "new and improved" Sangean ATS909X2 in the mail today. Should be fun to compare with my other receivers.

Best wishes in you renewed quest.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?