• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Getting feet wet correctly

K

kingpin46

Ok all you hammies and/or hammettes. I just bought an IC706MKIIG and will be getting Tech license in December. I know I can not use the HF portion of the bands, but radio has 440, 6meter, and 2meter which I will be entitled to use. My question is; what else will I need in the way of antennas, accessories and so on to properly use this rig? I live on the edge of a large metropolitan area (Seattle/Tacoma Wa.) which I am sure has its share of repeaters. Looks like most multi-band antennas run around $150, but do I really need one? I will be using it as a base. I have been a CB'er for many years, but know that HF, VHF and UHF are not plug and play. Just looking for some input from you guys that have been there and done that.

Thanks.

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub86.ezboard.com/bworldwidecbradioclub.showUserPublicProfile?gid=kingpin46>kingpin46</A> at: 11/18/02 10:20:26 am

That 706mkiig has two so-239's. One for 2m/440, and one for HF/6m. So for antennas, you will need a multiband 2m/440 and at least a HF antenna of some sort. There are a lot of multiband HF antennas that will cover 10m-80m (wire dipoles, verticals, etc). what you end up using will probably depend on the amount of space and type of tower you have. If you also want a 6m antenna, you may have to use an antenna switch on that HF output, unless someone has a better idea.

Moleculo

</p>

Kingpin,

You don't necessarily need a combination antenna

for the two VHF bands. You can always use two

seperate antennas connected through an antenna

switch to the single VHF/UHF antenna connetor on

the radio. A single antenna for 6 meters going to the

HF antenna connector. VHF/UHF antennas aren't

exactly cheap, but I think you should be able to beat

that $150 price. Making your own isn't out of the

question either. Two meters is very simple, literally

a couple of coat-hangers will make a pretty fair

groundplane antenna. Not pretty, and it won't 'do'

DX very well, but should be able to 'hit' any repeater

in the area. Same for '440, just with even less coverage,

maybe. VHF/UHF is one are where you want the

lowest loss coax that you can find, don't skimp on it.

VHF/ and UHF antennas are no different than antennas

for HF, they're just smaller and require more accurate

measurements.

- 'Doc

</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.