• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

'Gibson Girl' Crystal Radio

vu2nan

Jul 17, 2013
Bangalore
nandustips.blogspot.com
This series-tuned, shunt-fed crystal radio was built using parts salvaged from a vintage / battered SCR - 578 lifeboat radio (popularly referred to as 'Gibson Girl').

'Gibson Girl' Crystal Radio - Schematic

It consists of a baseplate, antenna tuning coil, antenna tuning capacitor and a terminal strip modified to suit.

'Gibson Girl' Crystal Radio

The only part required to be fished out from the junkbox was a Schottky diode SB 860. It was mounted underneath the terminal strip.

The local 612 kHz, 200 kW AM broadcast station comes in real loud using a 60' long wire antenna and sound-powered phones. Headphone current, measured using a 1mA FSD 60 Ω meter, is 600 μA.

Nandu.

Last edited:
Reactions: K1RMC

Thanks for updating your old post. I love crystal radio projects like this, but not at the expense of a highly collectable Gibson Girl. All those parts can be found in most junk boxes, plus making your own coils is half the fun. Did you check the high prices Gibson Girls are bringing these days? No, I'm not talking about the ones in Las Vegas.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated