• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Gloden Rod 50 (Sig. Engineering)

I know this thread is very old and Skirtchaser was talking about the Golden Rod 50, but I don't think it's produced anymore. There were lots of varying opinions made about the GR45, so this modeling demonstration is about this Original Signal Engineering mobile antenna.

So, below is my most current model of the GR45, and thanks to the help from DR_DX, a member on this forum...I was able to finally get the specs really close.

For convenience, I did make the Top Hat using 4 horizontal elements and adjusted the lengths to resonance...instead of making the Top Hat using two parallel elongated loops.

I made overlays for the 3 models posted below for comparison.

I made these models at 36' above Exnec's idea for Average Real Earth.

I did not include the mast in these models.

I also left the models showing maximum gain and angle at the default high angle lobe, and you can note that each model shows a different angle by 1* degree,

The maximum low angle lobe for each model is at 10* degrees, and all models are at the same angle down low. You can see the 1/4 wave GP still shows a little better gain at 10* degrees, which is probably what we might expect.

1. is titled .25 slanted radials RES 36'. It is a 1/4 wave whip on top of 4 x 108" slanted down radials for the ground plane.

2. is titled GR45 4SR Lee 36' and is over a 4 element GP as well. It is a model of the GR45 with dimensions provided me by Lee, DR_DX on this forum.

3. is titled GR45 4SR 36' and is over a 4 element GP too. This is an old model I made in 2015, and I wasn't far off with the dimensions back then.

If you have any questions, just ask.

Attachments

• GR45 vs. 0.25 Starduster type GP.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
Reactions: Slowmover
Here are the 2 models of the GR45 vs Whip mounted on a mobile object that simulates a Van with a Smaller flat top look.

Attachments

• Whip and GR45 on a mobile object tail gate..pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
Reactions: Slowmover
I found this on the Golden Rod Antenna:

• One to two S-Unit increase in signal strength over base and top loaded antennas.
  • Broadband match with SWR less than 1.5:1 across all US & UK channels and well into the 10 meter amateur band.
  • Almost 3x power multiplication (4.75 dBi).
  • 12 KW power handling capability.
  • Responds to horizontally polarized signals unlike any conventional vertical whip, thus extending the useful range of a mobile enormously!
  • The GR45 features extremely rugged construction, utilizing aircraft grade alloy aluminum with gold-anodized finish for performance and durability.
  • Static pickup reduced tremendously!

Never owned one so I've no idea.

Groundhog
I found this on the Golden Rod Antenna:

• One to two S-Unit increase in signal strength over base and top loaded antennas.
  • Broadband match with SWR less than 1.5:1 across all US & UK channels and well into the 10 meter amateur band.
  • Almost 3x power multiplication (4.75 dBi).
  • 12 KW power handling capability.
  • Responds to horizontally polarized signals unlike any conventional vertical whip, thus extending the useful range of a mobile enormously!
  • The GR45 features extremely rugged construction, utilizing aircraft grade alloy aluminum with gold-anodized finish for performance and durability.
  • Static pickup reduced tremendously!

Never owned one so I've no idea.

This list is all Bells and Whistles!​

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.