• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

GME TX 840 UHF radio

BJB

Dec 7, 2010
Australia embraced the 27 meg radios but later when UHF was introduced the country then adopted that system which offered very clear audio over the crackly 27meg. Although a clearer signal it didn't have the range of AM/SSB but was assisted with the use of repeater stations.

I dabbled with UHF but there were just too many cowboys on the channels who dominated the repeater channels. I then went over to AM and after a few SSB radios settled with an Omegaforce S45HP which has clear audio. I can receive signals from the USA and New Zealand , something the UHF couldn't offer.

This is the my GB 590 TX 470 UHF version by an Australian company originally known as Electrophone but later merged to become GME Electrophone. A mate of mine gave me this a while back and it was his base station. The company would take one of their radios and mount it in one of their own designed cases with a built in 240v power supply feeding the 12 volt radio.

P1010334.jpg

At the moment one of the CB vendors is selling the 27 meg version on ebay. Not a powerful unit but the quality would be very good knowing GME. I hadn't seen one of these AM/SSB sets before and they would be quite rare now.

100_0973.jpg

tx840.jpg

tx380m.jpg

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.