• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Going to purchase an RCI-2950DX, what should I know?

Most radios leave the factory working ok, they have to or they would lose money on all the warranty repairs. I have seen some dead on and other like they missed the tuning station or something. How about those Uniden 980 SSB radio, most of them would only do 5 to 8 watts with hardly no modulation on AM.

Mine should be here towards the end of next week. Going out on the 31st from Bells CB.
Will be using in my house only as a back up on CW/SSB for my TS 2000 and a primary AM radio since my TS 2000 isn't that great for AM.

Reactions: 2 people
I have an Antron 99 at 45ft.
A Sirio 3 ele yagi mounted flat at 42ft.
Also have a 20 meter dipole and a 40 meter end fed wire antenna.
For the 2 meter on the Ts 2000 I have a Cushcraft 10 element vertical beam in the middle of the Antron 99 and the Sirio 3 element yagi.
The Antron 99 was just put up yesterday and to my surprise it messed up the swr readings on the Cushcraft 2 meter beam.
Probably just buy a Mfj 921 2 meter antenna tuner to fix the slight mismatch the Antron 99 caused.
The Antron 99 by the way was not adjusted and was mounted they way it came out of the box. The Swr was perfect on 1-40 CB. On 17,15,12 and 10 meters the Kenwoods antenna tuner will fix any mismatch problems.

great radio comes with the e chip so dont pay for the opening of 11 meter . and once properly tuned hears well .
sounds great with a original rk 56 and d104m6 but the stock mic is awesome .
if people say you sound crappy when your up close in proximity like in the same parking lot . back off the mic gain . (problem with the newer rci) sometimes .
These radios are better sounding than most . if you like clear sounding audio.
Some people say the rx is par . but that all depends on who tunes it . my can hear a pin drop. . scans well slow but well .

CONS: only drifts when extremely cold out (until it warms up. thats most radios. )
no encode and decode for repeaters . -not a big deal and
I wish it had more memories and weather.

Why do people still talk up Astatic mics, the D104M6B is kind of ok the Road Devil sounds like a tinney box on most radios, the 575 is not made anymore, the D 104 Desk mic looks really cool but does not work well with these new radios, the stock mic with most radios sounds the best on SSB and the CR 577 can make a crummy radio sound ok. Seems old Turner mics sound good on most radios too as long as they are the 3 models +3 JM 3, Road King 60 66 70 or 76 all work ok just a shame not a lot of quality replacement mics these days around.

Last edited:
Why do people still talk up Astatic mics, the D106M6B is kind of ok the Road Devil sounds like a tinney box on most radios, the 575 is not made anymore, the D 104 Desk mic looks really cool but does not work well with these new radios, the stock mic with most radios sounds the best on SSB and the CR 577 can make a crummy radio sound ok. Seems old Turner mics sound good on most radios too as long as they are the 3 models +3 JM 3, Road King 60 66 70 or 76 all work ok just a shame not a lot of quality replacement mics these days around.

The astatic mics work great on my radios . Maybe its your tuning is off . not all mics are for everyone . To answer your question :; people talk about astatic mics because they like them . Mine sounds like a dream on the rci 2950dx and the 2970n2 i have . hope this helps you 73's

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.