• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Golden Eagle Radios.Com

CM-4441

Dec 10, 2010
NE Florida
I sent my Browning Eagle R-27 & S-23 to Barkett CB Repair (was recommended) to have both sets brought up to top condition. The tubes were okay but there was no receive. When I got it back, along with a lot of bad parts in a bag, the radio was working again. He stated that he took some parts from a Browning Golden Eagle Mark IV receiver and put in mine. He also said that the receiver was off a little but close. He said that the channel on the receiver dial was actually off about a half channel.

In reality? On the lowest channels it is off that much but the higher you go the more it is off. Channel 23, using the spot switch, is actually off by about 2 channels. The audio sounds real tinny like the speaker is about 1 inch in diameter. The receiver DOES work good though. The transmitter is working good according to reports.

I was just wondering if anyone has dealt with this guy and what your thoughts on him are.

Link to his site: http://stores.goldeneagleradios.com/StoreFront.bok

Terry

He has been around for quite some time, first dealt with him on Ebay, maybe 12 years ago, had no issues, though it was not repairs.

My question to you, have you contacted him with your concerns? The problems you describe should not be happening, a person competent with the repair of old tube gear, familiar with Browning radios should be able to correct those issues.

He knows about the channel problem. He told me it was off "a little" but it was the best he could do. If that was true then I don't want to send it back to him. He did his best and it wasn't good enough. I'm not sure I want to have it fixed or not. I can receive all the channels. They just are not where they should be.

Terry

Hi if the recive dial is like my mark111 ie has a set screw loosen set screw move plactic dial use spot button to get it set. Ben

It is like that, with the set screw. The problem is, say channel 3. It is about 1/2 way between 3 and 4. But, channel 23 would be up where the old 23B was. So 23 is off by 2 channels. If they were all the same moving the channel disk would do the trick.

Terry

Your tuning cap is non-linear. It's a mechanical problem. Could be big PIA to make right or maybe not. Sometimes there are tiny little tabs you can bend ever so slightly to help. Sounds to me like the guy was just trying to save you a few bucks in bench time.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.