• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

good base antenna

anixon

Jun 11, 2006
nj
what could i use for a base antenna to check radios out with. i have a wooden shed along side of home and was thinking of just mounting a antenna on the shed to use. its just for checking cb radios.

Heck, just about anything would work...including a simple coaxial or wire dipole. I'm not a huge fan of the fiberglassed antennas (aka A99, Imax, etc.) but they'd work too. And I agree, a good dummy load would probably be even better.

Just my $.02

skirtchaser said:
Why are you not a big fan of two of the most versatile radiators on the scene?
A dipole is versitile, too...and costs a fraction of the price. Those are (end fed) dipoles...nothing more. For the money I think there are better performers, that's all.

;)

The Antron 99 is not a end fed diapole it is a 1/4 over 1/2 wave co linnear array. I seriously hope we dont have to have this debate again. It has been responsible for more contacts than any other radiator ever sold and deserves respect. True, it is not an I-10k but it does have it's uses. The I-max is a fantastic local radiator and some realy like using them for DX as well.
I personally like my Thunder 8-xb, but I still have my old A-99 with the GPK-1 and the Francis Amazer top section up and use it frequently.

Whatever. :roll: You asked and I told you.

Now back to our normally scheduled program. 8)

i buy radios has a truck driver and need a way to check the radios from home in stead of hooking them up in truck all the times. check on transmit and rec..
just need some sort of antenna.

anixon,
In that case, almost anything will work. You have to have something to 'compare' to, so using the same guy on the other end to tell you what it sounds like is one way of doing it (signal reports). The 'catch' to that is the 'other guy' ought to be familiar with what a 'good' radio sounds like, and what you sound like on a good radio (if that makes sense). That'll tell you if it works or not. Won't necessarily tell you if it works 'good', but...
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.