• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Good cheap base antennae

I dont know about that whip.Looks to me like that would be nothing more than a really good lighting rod!Im sure it would work but i think i would rather good with a antron 99.I think you can get one for less than $50.00 maybe less if you found one that was used.

IMHO The antenna is the last place I would go cheap on if you want to talk to anyone. I run a Imax 2000, I have paid about $120 for the Imaxx Coax, I got the mast for free.

I have talked from the west coast to the east coast many times barefoot.

Jerry

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
King Mudduck,
The whip is only half of the antenna, you need to make the other half. The other half amounts to a few radials (at least one). Then you wind up with a 1/4 wave groundplaneantenna, or a vertical dipole.
The radial thingy can be as simple or as eleborate as you want, close to equal results either way. Or, just make the whole thing out of wire and hang it from something (even cheaper!). [Got a metal fence that runs under a tree with a branch at least 9 - 10 feet above the fence? It'll work.]
- 'Doc

Hey there..

I also will second the FACT that..
You do not go cheep on the Antenna..

Antenna is most importent part of the Station...Period..

now if you have issues with space or with only having X amount of money..

then that is a different story..

Anyways...
for 11 meters if you are to go with a Vertical antenna..
Jay's Interceptor I-10K Destroys all others..Period..
putting it up 50 feet would do quite nicly..

forget both the A-99 and Imax-2000
both are a waste of time
yes both can and have talked barefoot all over country
when conditions are good so will a coat hanger..

with Jay's Interceptor I-10K
you would talk far better and punch through where others could not..

Coax is also Importent..
though few people will be wiilling to use Hardline like i do for 11 meters (Andrews Heliax LDF5-50A and LDF7-50A)

then radio is importent..
then mike...
power supply etc..

hope i did not stray too much from your question..

Later

If you realy want a decent antenna get an Antron 99 Its not the best antenna but it will be better than the 102" whip. If you can get it 36 feet up or higher it will talk very well.

I do believe the dude said "cheap antenna" .......excluding TVI and what not ........a 50.00 Anttron/Solorcon 99 will kick some booty !!! .....yeap !! they may not be the best antenna on the block ,but they are cheap and they are LOUD ass antenna's !! just saw a guy sell one with a ground plane kit for 40 dollars shipped in the Swap shop !! ......easy install as well ....1,2,3 your done !! ....most come already tuned and you do not need the ground plane !! I repete ....You do not need the ground plane !! (-: good luck to you RJ

Well then RJ ..that's a different tune then (-: Those Jay's in the Mojave's Interceptor I-10K are very nice antenna's to say the least !!! for 250.00 you could even get a Maco 5 element beam and do some real damage with that (-: Good luck to you RJ IM sure you figure out something for yourself ....Have fun.

For under 250 I would say get a wolf point 64!!!! That thing has got a lightning waranty :shock: only antenna I know to be rated to take lightning strikes! I plan on geting one in the near future! :) 73s

My buddy is suppose to know a friend of a friend of a friend (we all know how this goes) who has a Jo Gunn star 3x 3 for sale for about 175 he "thinks".
Anybody know anything about these Jo gunns?

By the way thanx for the link to Wolf. Will look at the the Wolf Point tis evening.

f

You want an inexpensive base omni? Get a Spectrum 1600 without any doubt. They perform very well, and are not fiberglass. I have had one up for several years without a big problem. I did have to bring it down once after two years to do some screw tightening. No, the materials are not of the quality of the Interceptor 10k or the Coily Excalibur or Enforcer. But good enough to withstand S.E. TN weather. I don't care what anyone says, I wouldn't own a fiberglass base omni antenna...
Still the best antenna you can buy for under $100 bucks new shipped. Alot of folks around here have tried the fiberglass onmi antennas, and they all come back to metal.

LoneWolf TN

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.