• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Good, Clean power

22racer

Jan 9, 2013
Desert, AZ
So the best place to connect your power wires for your radio (100 watt) is directly from the battery. Do both (positive+ and negative-) cables need to be connected directly to the battery terminals, or can the Negative(-) be connected to a good chassis ground? I found 10ga stranded married wire at home depot for 93 cent a ft.

I usually connect the hot lead to the starter motor elect terminal.
electrically it is the same as the + batt conn, but, there will be no corrosion there.

BTW: disconnect the batt hot lead before touching the starter motor terminal. it's amazing how many people forget that it is always hot;)

You should remove the battery negative terminal any time you're messing around with the vehicle electrical system. If it is still connected while you're taking off the positive lead the wrench could make a very good jumper to the chassis if your hand slips. Removing the negative lead is much safer and eliminates the possibility of inadvertent short circuits to the chassis.

Reactions: 5 people
You should remove the battery negative terminal any time you're messing around with the vehicle electrical system. If it is still connected while you're taking off the positive lead the wrench could make a very good jumper to the chassis if your hand slips. Removing the negative lead is much safer and eliminates the possibility of inadvertent short circuits to the chassis.

Reminds me of the time a fellow I know was changing the battery in a piece of heavy machinery. He was tightening the + lead down on the battery after he had already done the - terminal. Since he was a lefty he was using the wrench in his left hand and his wedding ring made contact with the chassis. The ring welded itself to the chassis and wrench in an instant. Also in that instant the ring became red hot, burning a complete ring around his finger before he was able to yank free. He spent several months not knowing if he was going to loose the entire finger due to circulation problems from the deep burns completely surrounding the finger. If he had reacted any slower the battery would likely have exploded which would have lead to other problems.

As for where to connect the neg lead, most commercial two- way radio installers use the chassis as do a lot of stereo installers. It works well. I myself prefer going back to the battery but that is just because any chassis bolt I have seen tends to rust over time up here in the salt including the vehicle seats simply due to the salt off your boots etc.

Reactions: 2 people
Reminds me of the time a fellow I know was changing the battery in a piece of heavy machinery. He was tightening the + lead down on the battery after he had already done the - terminal. Since he was a lefty he was using the wrench in his left hand and his wedding ring made contact with the chassis. The ring welded itself to the chassis and wrench in an instant. Also in that instant the ring became red hot, burning a complete ring around his finger before he was able to yank free. He spent several months not knowing if he was going to loose the entire finger due to circulation problems from the deep burns completely surrounding the finger. If he had reacted any slower the battery would likely have exploded which would have lead to other problems.

As for where to connect the neg lead, most commercial two- way radio installers use the chassis as do a lot of stereo installers. It works well. I myself prefer going back to the battery but that is just because any chassis bolt I have seen tends to rust over time up here in the salt including the vehicle seats simply due to the salt off your boots etc.

I blew up a battery in a MG. The customer did'nt leave the key to the boot/trunk(MG's batteries are trunk mounted). I changed out a starter trying not to make contact between hot and ground with the wrench but it hit one good time and I heard a muted 'BOOM' in the trunk. Don't take shortcuts.

I blew up a battery in a MG. The customer did'nt leave the key to the boot/trunk(MG's batteries are trunk mounted). I changed out a starter trying not to make contact between hot and ground with the wrench but it hit one good time and I heard a muted 'BOOM' in the trunk. Don't take shortcuts.

If that's all that blew up in that car, it was a good day for the MG. Cool little piles of crap.

Reactions: 2 people

With this I agree 100%! I always go directly to the battery with both + and -. Easy access to the fuse holders and if corrosion should appear it is easily cleaned and protected. Last month a friend of mine shorted his ring out while changing the started on his 2000 Super duty, he may still lose it due to scar tissue. The ring was Titanium and that took the better part of an hour to cut off with the Dremmel tool, he did manage to stick a feeler gauge between the ring and his finger for a heat sink though:headbang

Attachments

• luv hurts.jpg
    luv hurts.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 10
Ugh, that's awful! My wife had to get over the fact that I do not wear my wedding ring. Too many injuries are possible for a guy who welds, picks up heavy stuff, works with electricity, etc...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.