• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Good dummyload

Bird dummy loads like the ones pictured are all over for sale cheap.

They can take a lot more than the nameplate. The 5-600 watt models play nice at 1500 watts average on with HFRF for hours in a climate controlled environment.

For lower power stuff I use the MFJ-264. Don't believe the rating you see. that is only for about half a minute or less from a cold start. It will handle 100 watts continuous.

DUMMY+MFJ264.JPG

For more demanding situations I use my homebrew load made from ten 500 ohm, 200 watt watt Globar resistors all mounted in a 12 quart stock pot and filled with silicone load oil. I must admit it is pretty sad when your tubes don't have handles but your dummy load does. :headbang This load is good for 2000 watts in air and God knows how much in the load oil. I figure it's good for 10Kw at least. It has had 4 Kw peak into it for 15 minutes straight and was only just beginning to get quite warm near the top.

dummyloadyt4.jpg

underthelidvv9.jpg

finishedloadnp8.jpg

That home brew unit is something to behold.

I had seen something low power using 1 watt resistors, for low power of course. You could use it for your regular ol stock radio.;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated