• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Good earbud/earpiece for VX-8R/DR?

JakiChan

May 5, 2010
I'm looking for a good mono earbud/earpiece to use with this radio. Given how deep the recessed jack is I can't use my regular ER-6i IEMs with it, and wouldn't want to. I want something that just goes over/in 1 ear so that I can easily monitor while wearing the radio.

(I wish I could just use a headset *and* the GPS at the same time, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that.)

I would suggest the bluetooth chip (BU-1) and headset (BH-2A Mono). I have it and use it with my VX-8DR and my FTM-350. The sound quality is very good. I have been very impressed with it. That way you don't have to fuss with any wires.

73 Darryl VA7DTP

I would suggest the bluetooth chip (BU-1) and headset (BH-2A Mono). I have it and use it with my VX-8DR and my FTM-350. The sound quality is very good. I have been very impressed with it. That way you don't have to fuss with any wires.

Then I have MORE batteries to manage. No thanks. If I am using this setup I'll be in a situation where I don't want to worry about my BT headset croaking.

I found that ipod standard ear buds fit this jack perfectly. Other than general bad sound that comes out of those, it works fine. Most apple product fans who own or owned ipods/iphones have at least one old set sitting at home.
I happened to have my wife's set so I use them and i might even replace buds themselves with sony or even koss cheap buds, just cause of the bad fit of ipod ones to my ear.

I also found that reception via earphone as a an FM antenna is horrible. I used 3 different earbuds/headphones, and i would get 1 bar vs 6 bars of the standard duck antenna.

can anyone confirm this?

thanks

I found that ipod standard ear buds fit this jack perfectly. Other than general bad sound that comes out of those, it works fine. Most apple product fans who own or owned ipods/iphones have at least one old set sitting at home.
I happened to have my wife's set so I use them and i might even replace buds themselves with sony or even koss cheap buds, just cause of the bad fit of ipod ones to my ear.

I also found that reception via earphone as a an FM antenna is horrible. I used 3 different earbuds/headphones, and i would get 1 bar vs 6 bars of the standard duck antenna.

can anyone confirm this?

thanks

Interesting. I've found the total opposite. I don't use ear buds (I don't like ANYthing in my ears, unless I'm cleaning them) but use some cheap-ish Philips active noise canceling "cover the whole ear" headphones.

There are a few local stations to me (mainly coming from the University of Georgia {UGA}) that I pick up no problem and the headphones or the HT's antenna don't make a hill of beans of difference.

The stations that are based in Atlanta, GA -- about 65-80 miles away -- I can pick up with the HT's antenna, barely. If I twist and turn and aim the HT about. With the headphones selected as the antenna -- I get close to a full signal without having to aim.

The antenna I use on the VX-8R is an Opek THR-30 (2m/1.25m/70cm tribander).

I've had the headphones long before the VX-8R. I use them primarily for gaming/movie/tv/music/etc... on the PC, so I don't disturb the wife.

Just FYI!

--Alex / KF4YOR

Interesting. I've found the total opposite. I don't use ear buds (I don't like ANYthing in my ears, unless I'm cleaning them) but use some cheap-ish Philips active noise canceling "cover the whole ear" headphones.

There are a few local stations to me (mainly coming from the University of Georgia {UGA}) that I pick up no problem and the headphones or the HT's antenna don't make a hill of beans of difference.

The stations that are based in Atlanta, GA -- about 65-80 miles away -- I can pick up with the HT's antenna, barely. If I twist and turn and aim the HT about. With the headphones selected as the antenna -- I get close to a full signal without having to aim.

The antenna I use on the VX-8R is an Opek THR-30 (2m/1.25m/70cm tribander).

I've had the headphones long before the VX-8R. I use them primarily for gaming/movie/tv/music/etc... on the PC, so I don't disturb the wife.

Just FYI!

--Alex / KF4YOR

interesting indeed. I have two VX-8Rs but i tested only on one. I will try to do more tests on both units as soon as i get chance, useing iphone earbuds, Shure E5 earbuds, and Sony MDR7506 headphones.
I'll post results here.

cheers

had a moment today to try both radios set to ear phone as FM antenna. Obviously, when earphones are unplugged while in this setting, radio switches automatically to external antenna (rubber duck)

Listening to 97.8FM station on cheap old iPod white Ear-buds gives it full signal (9), while with included rubber duck antenna it gives 5-7 bars.

now in 70cm and up range the result is opposite. I get barely one bar intermittent signal in 444MHz-480MHz range while rubber duck gives 5-7 bars of more than solid signal.

both VX-8Rs show identical readings.

cheers

I've used Ipod earbuds with this radio and they worked fine also. The depth of the earphone plug on this radio is one of the more annoying design quirks because it limits the choices of antennas/speakers you can use. The best advice is to take the radio with you when you go to purchase new ear buds so you can make sure they fit.

BTW, the Radio Shack solder on plug will not fit in this radio. I found that out the hard way.

I guess I could take a spare pair of iPod earbuds, but I only want one ear covered. I don't wanna have one just dangling. There's one at radio shack I'm gonna go look at.

Listening to 97.8FM station on cheap old iPod white Ear-buds gives it full signal (9), while with included rubber duck antenna it gives 5-7 bars.

now in 70cm and up range the result is opposite. I get barely one bar intermittent signal in 444MHz-480MHz range while rubber duck gives 5-7 bars of more than solid signal.

I thought when you select the "EXT/HEADPHONE" option for the FM Antenna that it solely applied to broadcast FM...? Unless I somehow misread your statement.

As far as the "dangling extra earbud" -- just CLEANLY snip off the extra wire and cleanly isolate the resulting wires. Or, just neatly wrap/coil the extra wire/earbud up and secure (tape? drop of glue?) to near the plug area -- as not to have the extra weight near your ear or up the wire.

Set the rig's setting STEREO/MONO to MONO.

I went down to Wally-world an picked up an assortment pack of jacks. Just happened to have a 3" extension with a straight jack that would insert all the way. Then any earbuds / headphones i have will work.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.