• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Good Skip Day!

codeman

Recovering Crackerhead
Jul 10, 2011
Today was a good day for skip, at least for me here in south Texas it was.
I made contacts on LSB to Washington,California,Montana and Nevada then later the Northeast was coming in pretty good. But the highlight of my day was making my first overseas contact to 220 in Australia. It was only about a 4-5 minute contact but it made my day. I am only talking with a Magnum S-45 and a 4 foot fiberglass Wilson antenna using an Extreme 2018 mic.

I have had several people think I was talking on a base station, they tell me that the audio coming from my setup sounds that good. I love this radio, the only problem with it so far is that the talkback rarely works on it. I have only had a couple of people(fellow truckers) tell me that the radio didn't sound good to them. But maybe we were too close, but who knows.

I also heard New Zealand,England and Hawaii today. I hear Hawaii a lot but I never can make contact. But like I said making my first overseas contact to Australia really made my day.

Last edited:

Glad you had some conditions!
In Florida a good skip day is when it is NOT coming in from Mexico. That is all we have been getting for months.

Reactions: 1 person
Glad you had some conditions!
In Florida a good skip day is when it is NOT coming in from Mexico. That is all we have been getting for months.

That sucks. I guess I'm lucky and the Mexico skip usually skips :) me. Yesterday I talked with a guy on an oil rig platform in Anchorage,Alaska. So that was pretty cool.

yer qth

greetings from deep south texas!!! how far south are you ? i am in the valley where texas points out to the water!!! ...25 texas...operator ralph...nostly 27.385 lsb and 27.425 lsb...happy dx ing!!!

I'm a trucker so it depends on where I am traveling, but usually I only go as far south as Corpus Christi. I travel to the Midland-Odessa area a lot then back towards Austin.

A first for me..........

Not a great day for skip.... BUT......

I talked to 3055 in the San Francisco Bay ON HIS SAIL BOAT I wouldn't have believed it except that I have
heard him for almost a year on LSB 38 and finally made a short contact with him.

For a very short time I heard N. Ireland like next door but couldn't make contact.

Skip contacts have been minimal for me the last couple of days, I have heard Australia again but have had no luck making contact. My best contact yesterday was to Los Angeles,Ca. I'll have to listen for 3055, maybe he will be out sailing today.

Codeman: you're doing good. I'm a local in my o4 Caddy in Scottsdale. I run a Yeticom Optima MKIII off a Wilson 5K barefoot. The best I've done so far is only Maine and Nassau Bahamas. Waiting for my 2970N2 peaked and tweaked.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.