• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Got a old Uniden Grant

codeman

Recovering Crackerhead
Jul 10, 2011
20160616_110600.jpg 20160616_112216.jpg 20160614_125401.jpg 20160616_111218.jpg

I bought this radio the other day. I've been looking around for an older ssb radio for a while so now I got one.
I didn't know it when I bought the radio but it has some extra channels via the brite/dim switch and channel 9 switch.
I get good reports on sideband and have made several DX contacts barefoot. Now on AM I have a high pitched tone when I key up and the mic gain has no effect on the tone. The tone is not terribly loud but it is noticeable. The same with the mic gain all the way up or down. There is no high pitch tone on sideband. I have listened to this radio through another cb. But I have been told my audio is strong. This is a 5 pin mic radio and I am using an adapter for my 4 pin mics, so I don't know if that may cause the tone.

Any idea of what year this radio is? I find radios like this one on search engines but they all have a red channel display. Any extra information on this radio would be welcomed.

So far I really like this radio and will have Clay's cb shop check it out for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2RT307

View attachment 18204 View attachment 18203 View attachment 18205 View attachment 18206

I bought this radio the other day. I've been looking around for an older ssb radio for a while so now I got one.
I didn't know it when I bought the radio but it has some extra channels via the brite/dim switch and channel 9 switch.
I get good reports on sideband and have made several DX contacts barefoot. Now on AM I have a high pitched tone when I key up and the mic gain has no effect on the tone. The tone is not terribly loud but it is noticeable. The same with the mic gain all the way up or down. There is no high pitch tone on sideband. I have listened to this radio through another cb. But I have been told my audio is strong. This is a 5 pin mic radio and I am using an adapter for my 4 pin mics, so I don't know if that may cause the tone.

Any idea of what year this radio is? I find radios like this one on search engines but they all have a red channel display. Any extra information on this radio would be welcomed.

So far I really like this radio and will have Clay's cb shop check it out for me.

Great find! I'm thinking these models were from the late '70's. I have two Grant XL's, which came out later, but they are great, stable rigs. Not sure why you are having issues with AM, but ExitThirteen and Unit 399 seem to know a LOT about these old Uniden rigs. Hopefully they can help you out.

If you're down in the Mansfield area, Kilgore's CB Shop is a good one, also.

Brett

looking at the serial number my guess would be made in 1985. the 1st thing I would do is get a mic that is wired right for a 5 pin radio like yours. the blue red and green wires could be a audio mod and you may be getting some feed back with the mods done .
these radios actually have 2 grounds on them and you have a 4 pin hooked up and that can cause you a internal audio squeal. . also as old as the radio is you could have a week capacitor around the audio chip starting to cause problems since you have been using the radio.if it was mine I would change all the electrolytic caps in the radio then see if you still have the noise from it before doing much else to it. I have seen them act up due to the 10 volt caps going bad. if you do recap it use at least 16 volt caps in the 10 volt cap slots.
good luck on your repair.

Thanks for the quick response and information. I believe I will have one of my mics wired for the radio skip the adapter. I will probably have Clay's cb shop go through it as do plan on keeping this radio. He seems to do things right. I know the 980 he set up for me sounds good.

those are nice radios. it looks a lot like my old Jackson radio. made about the same time. I recapped it a couple years ago because it was acting up some times. on AM it would have a light squeal just like you are having. after the recap it works great. when mine would squeal it would peg out the output. did not due it on SSB either.

Have him replace the Mic plug in the radio from the current5 pin, to the 4 pin used on galaxy, cobra and everything else today, that way you don't have to have a detected Mic for that radio.

Reactions: 2RT307
it is not just a simple mod from a 5 pin to a 4 pin. the 5 pin has 2 grounds and if not done right will cause some problems. just make sure the guy that does the mod knows what he is doing.

the radio has one ground for switching between TX and RX. the other ground is for audio, if you tie both together can cause some problems. Nomad radios has built a circuit board to work doing the change. it mounts on the back of the mic plug , it works just like the original boards that is on the back of the stock radios.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated