• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Got a question.

dcdeepwoods

Sep 28, 2008
South Carolina
Can a TS500v be used with a driver? I have a smaller driver that is around 100 watts that I was going to use to drvie a TS500v. Is this a good idea or something that you would stay away from? I know this has probably been asked before but I can not find it in a search.

no driver needed . just a radio with a 1-2 watt deadkey and 25+ swing .
its my understanding to never put more than 50 watts swing into them and not deadkey more than 150 watts .

Well just for the fun of it I tried it. Probably around 75 watts into it on low (small box output) and it talked fine. Don't know what kind of output it had but may know in a couple of days. I did not have a meter handy and did not talk on it but maybe 1 minute all together. No noticeable change in temp of outside of box. (Strange) So this is where I got brave (or stupid according to how you look at it). I turned the smaller box up to high, probably around 150 watts output and talked less than a minute. The other end said it sounded fine, louder than before. Of course my truck did not like it. The amps went down and the turn signal light can on. I could hear the strobe pack in the back flash. Don't think I will be trying that anymore. One heck of an amp draw from what I could see. I would like to key it up with a meter in line just to see what was happening on the other end but if I do, you can bet it will be very briefly. Both times I had a mobile and a base listening. One mobile was 10 miles away right near the base. The other mobile was less than 1 mile down the road. Got good reports from all of them. I know this is kinda stupid to do but sometimes you have to break stuff to figure out new things. It ain't nothing but money and you can't take it with you. (Or that's what they told me anyways)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned