• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Got my FIRST 23!

The War Wagon

Dec 27, 2014
da' 'BURGH
Didn't even realize these existed (23 channel CB's, that is) until about 2 years ago. Getting into CB's in the late '80's, I just figured they ALWAYS had 40 channels! :eek:

ANYwho... here's a few crappy pics

100_0701_zpswcczpcjb.jpg

100_0700_zpswgpd2zzd.jpg

100_0704_zpshw0sra8k.jpg

I picked it up for the INCREDIBLE low price of, 'on the house.' Belonged to a friend at church who was cleaning out his basement, and knew I still ran CB's in my trucks. Have yet to hook it up and try it, but if anyone knows anything about them, feel free to sing out!

23 channels was a major leap in technology for me in the 70's having started with a 6 channel crystal controlled General Radiotelephone. But, once someone had the answer to my questions about the dahs and dits and people taking on the 3 MHz band I was hearing on my Ratshack kit SW radio I kind of lost interest in CB.

you should never pay more than 10 bucks for a 23 channel radio, and i personally wouldn't give more than 5 bucks unless it was a few certain models.

your radio most likely has a few issues due to age, and if it doesn't yet, it soon will.

the electrolytic caps are all drying out if they are not dried already.
the fix is to replace them all, but unless you do it yourself, its just not worth the money.

23 channel radios have a certain nostalgic value, but that's about it.
if you like yours, thats all that matters.
LC

Reactions: The War Wagon
you should never pay more than 10 bucks for a 23 channel radio, and i personally wouldn't give more than 5 bucks unless it was a few certain models.

your radio most likely has a few issues due to age, and if it doesn't yet, it soon will.

the electrolytic caps are all drying out if they are not dried already.
the fix is to replace them all, but unless you do it yourself, its just not worth the money.

23 channel radios have a certain nostalgic value, but that's about it.
if you like yours, thats all that matters.
LC

Thanks for the insight - having never owned one, I would not have considered those issues.

Still not ENTIRELY sure what I am going to do with it, but I like Singularity's idea - maybe make sure it works first, and let one of my kids have it! :D

Reactions: Singularity35

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.