• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Gotta love Ken...

Tokin

The Man With No Shoes
Oct 31, 2019
SandBox
One store i miss is being near is Kens Electronics in Kalamazoo Michigan. If you needed it Ken had it or he would get it for you fast. I believe hes been in that location for close to 50 years.
http://www.kenselectronics.com/index.html
Ken is a great guy but a little quirky. Hes a very slow and methodical extra class ham who retains everything in that big bald noggin of his and hes a pack rat. I bet he still has nos stuff from the 70's and 80's.
I called him because i had a question about a part that if the information existed he would know.
I was and still am looking for a specific part name for the 3 pin keyway style 12v plug that is used for most cb radios. I was looking for the 2 piece type that screws together so i can replace pins and upgrade wire. Ken didnt have a specific part name BUT he said he has a pile of new cutoffs because he uses the wire for other power lead projects and how many do i need? Gotta love this guy.
Then i asked him about his old stand-up tube tester he had in the store back in the 1980's from Langs TV and he still has it, it still works and he'll sell it to me for a reasonable price.
Anyone in or around Kalamazoo Michigan want to go pick up a vintage tube tester???

I seem to remember word going around that he had closed up shop. I never ordered from him as I never ended up NEEDING to, but the by phone only deal may have been a putoff. Glad to hear he is still at it! I remember once trying to order from Candyman I think it was over the phone. The older gentleman I spoke to in the back rifled through drawers and found what I needed, then sent me to the “front desk” and they then told me they didnt have what I needed. That was my only taste of the phone order deal..

I seem to remember word going around that he had closed up shop. I never ordered from him as I never ended up NEEDING to, but the by phone only deal may have been a putoff. Glad to hear he is still at it! I remember once trying to order from Candyman I think it was over the phone. The older gentleman I spoke to in the back rifled through drawers and found what I needed, then sent me to the “front desk” and they then told me they didnt have what I needed. That was my only taste of the phone order deal..

Yep Ken is still there. I think he owns both blocks now. I was afraid to ask about his wife. I think she was from the Philippines. Very nice lady.
I lived a stones throw from the Kalamazoo county fair grounds and Kens is right across the street. Kens had stuff no one else had. Hes a great tech BUT i learned you would get your radio put back to factory settings if you had him work on it. You could order almost anything thru Kens and he had the stand up tube tester in the back. He says the 9 and 12 pin tube sockets are worn out and I told him that was most likely my fault. Me and Red Bone were there alot testing boxes and boxes of tubes.

I've done business with Ken for years. I just ordered a couple of crystals. Ordered them by email like I usually do. It took 5 weeks and 2 extra phone calls to get them. He's always good to talk to though. He does seem to be getting slower and slower at getting things out but at his age it's commendable that he's still in business. Without him some things would be totally unobtainable. Just have to have a little patience.

Reactions: Dmans and Tokin
I spent 18 years laughing at the unknowing cb operators who brought their radios in to kens to be fixed only to get them back with all the mods taped to the lid and the radio set to 4 watts dk, 12 watts pep. I remember seeing radios with extra channel crystal kits taped to lids waiting to be picked up.
I cant remembered "her" name or handle but there was a transvestite named Ralph Matlock in Portage Michigan who was a great tube amp tech. Hard as hell to look to but if your Firebird 500 was sick you'd find yourself sitting at his dining room table while he fixed your amp looking like 5 miles of bad road.

Ken is a treasure grove of parts and info. The lady he had working there was another matter. I got into it a few times with her because I wanted to use a debit card and she threw a damn temper tantrum. F ing bitch. I hope Ken replaced her as she has NO people skills!

Reactions: Tokin

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.