1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Grant II Clarifier

Discussion in 'CB and Export Equipment and Accessories' started by Tucker442, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Tucker442

Tucker442 101E

Has anybody figured out how to unlock the clarifier on the new Grant II? Mine is dead on center slot but talkiing skip would be nice to be able to slide a little. Thanks for your comments in advance

2. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Sr. Member

I thought Dave was going to ask his sources for that and more. Uniden must be clamping down.

3. Tucker442

Tucker442 101E

I heard someone did it with the 980 but never saw how

4. Robb

Robb Yup

Clarifier mods are all the same, in that they all need to have two things in common to work. They may have differeing instructions as how to do them for a particular radio, but basically uses the same two concepts. The first maneuver is to get a +8v feed to the clarifier pot, so that it can feed the varactor in both TX and RX situations. The next is to remove a blocking diode that keeps that +8v out of the TX loop osc circuit.

The problem with all of this, is that Uniden has a nasty habit of not supplying the schematics to their radios nor gives them to the general public, as this would make it easier to do mods to them. Bad Uniden; no cookie. So, you will either have to send it in to a shop that has the schematics, or take a chance of ruining your radio. I vote that you send it in . . .

#4 Robb, Jan 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  5. sdmahr

sdmahr Active Member

Even the shops don't have the schematics...................

Mudfoot likes this.
  6. Tucker442

Tucker442 101E

Yes I understand the wiring diagram but someone did it to a 980 and the chassis's are a lot alike

7. Robb

Robb Yup

Really?
    Perhaps you can take some pictures of the circuit board so that it can be compared.

8. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Sr. Member

If I remember correctly, it was all unstable and flaky.

9. Tucker442

Tucker442 101E

Well the Uniden 980 was a very stable radio but lacked some things that European radio operators like higher channels and half channels which the Grant II does. The chassis's are a lot alike I was just hoping if I started this thread the guy who unlocked his would give us some info. I already put a call into my favorite radio guru so I will find out tomorrow if it's possible he has been doing things with the 980 so time will tell

Robb likes this.
  10. sdmahr

sdmahr Active Member

I have both radios. I unlocked the 980 after watching LesComm do it on YouTube. Worked very well. I don't recall exactly, but when I looked at my Grant II I thought it was enough different to make me NOT try it. I've been waiting for the correct answer on how to get it done. Please share if you come up with something that works ! ! !

11. Tucker442

Tucker442 101E

Mike at Yeticom NZ has a Youtube video of it sliding but won't tell anyone how.

12. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Sr. Member

No great loss anyways. Other more worthwhile options out there.

13. Tucker442

Tucker442 101E

Rob I called my very good radio tech and he said Uniden has still not released wiring diagrams for the Grant II

Mudfoot likes this.
  14. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Sr. Member

And they never will.

15. jazzsinger

jazzsinger Bullshit Buster

Maybe if you look in right place you'll find schematic.

Go to servicedocs.com search by brand dropdown. Select President and scroll down to Grant 2 schematic. As well aa schematics/user manuals and service manuals for most European Presidents ;)