• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

grant with an amp

brash

Apr 22, 2012
is anybody running an amp with there uniden grant xl. would like to know what i should be looking for and what setup works good (amp/antenna)

I used to run a XL into a Texas star 250 and it worked.really well. that's plenty of power for in town and.ssb skip.

Reactions: 2 people
dont run a

peice of crap class c amp,its hard to understand on ssb...get a boomer or palomar or tx star amp,or find a old d and a like a scorpin or bandit2 or a old pal ham 10 series 10...good ab1 amps.I have a few and wont part with them...ran alot of grants and dx grants,and also a few jacksons,even a emporor ts 5010,mostly browning ltd and always a good amp...and get a good antenna,your radio is 99 percent your antenna,like a steel whip,or wilson 1000 the 5000 a laugh unless your going ti run that much,73 de JW

Reactions: 2 people
peice of crap class c amp,its hard to understand on ssb...get a boomer or palomar or tx star amp,or find a old d and a like a scorpin or bandit2 or a old pal ham 10 series 10...good ab1 amps.I have a few and wont part with them...ran alot of grants and dx grants,and also a few jacksons,even a emporor ts 5010,mostly browning ltd and always a good amp...and get a good antenna,your radio is 99 percent your antenna,like a steel whip,or wilson 1000 the 5000 a laugh unless your going ti run that much,73 de JW
better off with the 5000 the coil don't crack like all the 1000 I have had in the past.Especially in the inclement weather .When your whip hits a few branches :oops:

get a boomer or palomar or tx star amp,or find a old d and a like a scorpin or bandit2 or a old pal ham 10 series 10...good ab1 amps.

Those are all good amps. I have an old Pal 351B that im having reworked. The Relay section needs TLC bit otherwise its a decent amp.

a few of the kl amps are class C,
kl351p 400 500 501 503 800 and others are class AB with a better bias circuit than palomar boomers or texas stars,

boomers often have a crude bias circuit grounded into class c.

The KL amps are all class C shit box amps so stay away from them as well........

The Grant xl is a fine radio. Set the AM dead key for 2 watts swinging maybe 10-14 watts, SSB peak wattage at 14-18, and your ready for an amp. Any small 2 pill (final) amp will work. Best bet would be something that's class AB or B. I prefer a switched SSB delay but many small amplifiers have auto SSB which can be ok.

As far as which brand amp, tough call. A blue face Palomar 225/250, Texas Star 250/350, Messenger amps, and Bulletproof are all decent performers. There are many more to choose from.

I have ran mine into a TS350HDV and into a 4x1446 Class C, worked well on both...I actually have two Grants, both worked about the same. They don't seem to have the drive of a straight AM radio, so they aren't the best if you're looking for wattage bragging rights on AM.

Nobody could tell the difference between the TS or 4-pill, even on SSB; but I wasn't trying to wring every last watt out either. I am a firm believer in the premise that garbage in is garbage out.

None of the regular grant style chassis are AM monsters because they are a SSB rig. If you want AM performance out of a straight AM CB get a Cobra 29 LTD classic.

is anybody running an amp with there uniden grant xl. would like to know what i should be looking for and what setup works good (amp/antenna)

TNT 350 and be done with it. Palomars and boomers are cheap junk.....if you must use a mass produced amp, how about a Texas Star 350 or 250.

In order of priorities...I would put your money into getting a tower and a beam and a rotor and control box and rotor wire and coax...then you can talk skip without having to run illegal power.

In order of priorities...I would put your money into getting a tower and a beam and a rotor and control box and rotor wire and coax...then you can talk skip without having to run illegal power.

I agree but having the antenna AND say 150 clean watts PEP on SSB would be the shizzle. Heck if you mount the antenna too high up and add channels to the Grant xl that's illegal too. Might as well be illegal 3x and get the amp too.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned