• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Grant XL Clarifier Question

BoogieDown

Mar 31, 2010
I had the clarifier in a Grant Xl, modded to slide both tx&rx, also upgraded to a 20k 10-turn pot. I'm not sure whats wrong however the frequency drifts like a sailboat in a hurricane. I want to swap the 20k 10-turn, with a stock clarifier. Will this work? Can I just unsolder the wires on the 20k and solder them to their respective place on the stock clarifier or does this require a well stocked bench?

Last edited:

I don't see anything in the original post to make me assume any kind of "Super Diode" has been installed, or that he wants it returned to "STOCK" with that considered I think first re-installing the original control would be a good place to start. If indeed you do want to reverse the procedure then the previous post maybe correct.

observe the original position on the wires, which is Orange, Green, Black on one of the Grants I have here (looking at it from the back) and simply reinstall (solder) the original back in place.

If your clarifier range has been greatly increased (more +-6) that maybe indication components may have been added/changed, IE Diode, or Choke. However this still has NOTHING to do with whether you can reinstall the original control or not.

If this doesn't cure the drift problem, then you may have to look into how the clarifier mod was performed.

Personally I've never had an issue with a Grant XL drifting, could indeed be a bad 10 turn, or it could be how the modification was done.

Thanks Gang, I suspect it may be a bad pot. I forget who the tech was who done the mod for me, or the extent of the mods. I believe there may be some choke-type action in conjunction with the tx/rx being tied together as well as the 20 10-turn deal. I'll try a new 20k pot first if that fails I'll send it off to be unmodded and returned to stock. Thanks again for the replies

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated