• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Grant XL question

Since two of the three radios didn't work; I have to question the antenna setup. If it had been the other way around -that is if two of the three radios worked- then I would have said that it is the radio at fault here. But in this case, I have to wonder about the antenna.

First, the antenna is only fifteen feet off of the ground to the feed point. That is really low; and I'm sure your receive must be suffering - as well as the transmit. Next, the coax is new - that is a OK - provided there is some length to it. I would get that $50 Starduster or the A99 and put it ~33 ft up - and be done with it. Once you are on the band and operating with a decent antenna, you will enjoy your radio much more.

Something about your antenna is not right. Just having a OK SWR is no guarantee that it is working correctly. It only proves that the power is moving out of the radio; but this does not mean that it is being radiated effectively and efficiently!

Sure, the Washington may have been peaked and may throw a couple of more watts; but any of these radios should be able to talk to someone up to ~12 miles away with relative ease. With no strain - I might add. Your station should be blaring at the interstate radio traffic - if it is a half of a mile away. I have a interstate freeway 1/2 mile away from my base station as well, and I burn up the truckers needles on their radios - and I am a barefoot station ('no linears'). Time for a new antenna - imo. So - I would have to say that an antenna with no issues may be in order for you to get your station up and flying...

Dos Centavos...

Last edited:
TJ,

i have tuned and modified more than a few grant XL's and i can tell you that without too much effort at all, you can make that grant key at 6 watts and swing to 18-20 no problem.

same with the washington, when it comes to the transmitter section they are all but identical. (there are some different filter bandwidths but that doesnt affect the output)

what im saying is that they are both capable of the same output.

yes, your washington has been tuned up most likely.
there's not too many people that would put extra channels in a radio without also turning up the power and modulation a bit.

still, you have to understand that if the washington puts out 5 watts and the grant only put out 1 watt; you are still only talking about little more than a 1 S-unit difference in how these radios are received on the other end.
im not making this up, that is the way it works.

you can figure your loss in your coax, but i can tell you right now that if one radio works and gets out using that coax, then any other will do the same.

remember too that your antenna is somewhat directional and is horizontal while most if not all of the stations you are talking to are vertical.
if you were to turn your dipole vertical, you would not only be omni-directional, but would get out a lot better to everyone except for the very few who are running beam antennas.

you say you have a cb in your truck.
try this, set the washington and the grant where you want them,on a clear channel, and show someone in your household how to switch the coax, and turn the power on.

then drive about 2 to 3 miles away, call them on the cell phone and tell them to transmit to you.
dont have them talk, just key the radio for a good 10 seconds and you note the reading on your mobile.
then while still on the phone, tell them to switch radios and do it again.
note the difference in the S meter readings as accurately as you can.

my guess is that you are going to find that the readings are similar between radios, but this problem has confused me so far, so who knows what will happen.

let us know.
LC

Last edited:
We are going on vacation for a few days, so it will be a while before I can work on this...was going to DTB this Friday, but plans changed and I doubt I will be able to make the trip. Probably do that next week...make a special trip down just for that.

I don't think I can turn the antenna vertical because of tree branches...and they are high enough I can reach them to trim them back (I think). I may look into relocating the antenna to the other end of the shed, putting it closer to the house...but that would get me out of the tree line. I think an antenna analyzer might make life a little easier...when I get my allowance, I will buy one (was going to buy one this past week, but had to repair our camper...my money becomes our money, which becomes her money and I never see it again...). As for using a commercial antenna...not really anywhere on this house I could use one...that tower and antenna I was looking at, besides the deal falling through, was intended for the next place...we intend to move within a year. So I'm stuck with this dipole for now...

I put the second Grant back in the car...I can make barefoot contacts with ease...sitting in the driveway, barefoot (the Grant that was showing under 2 watts). Keep in mind, this particular radio was set to drive my TS350HDV...with the amp on, I'm seeing a nice 50/180-200 out. And I get very good reports on both AM and SSB.

And again, we all know meters are a "relative" thing...I'm going to dig out my other meter (Aries A-360) and hook it up...if I can remember where I put it?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.