• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Great Dual Band Mobile Antenna Tip

Wire Weasel

Senior Moment
Dec 13, 2008
I live out in the country and am wanting to maximize my reach out to area repeaters as I'm driving around. Foothills of the mountains so many hilly obstacles to work around. Do okay with my present straight 5/8's but interested in better. So looking around and the grandaddy seems to be the Diamond SG7900 Fold-Over Model at 61" long. All the usual players in the states want a whopping $115.95 for the thing .... YIKES. So see a seller on eBay in Hong Kong offering them for $36.95 shipped .... a huge savings if you can wait 4 weeks or so for one to show up.
Arrived today in 19 days, no additional import fees or anything incurred. Very happy. Here is the seller. Has most of the Diamond mobile antennas.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Gain-...UHF-Mobile-Car-Radio-transceiver/123533473147

Reactions: Slowmover

another fine elcheepo from the land of ALMOST RIGHT. suprized they didnt hit you up for duty tax. id bet you got a clone ,cheep knockoff. plus might show up with a virus. did you open package without a mask on?

Post up some pic's
I used to run a Hustler CG 144 on the trunk of my Buick la sabre , on 2 meters with a 100 watts I could talk from north of Fresno to a repeater up in Pacifica.
Lots of gain on that antenna.
The down side to it was that in the city around a lot of buildings, it was not as efficient as my little 1/4 wave.
Parked out in the open with a little elevation it rocked.

Anyway, lets see what it looks like.

Jeff

i have a SG7900, first month i had it the top coily thingie broke luckily it was on my pickup and it fell into bed,,, they replaced the broke part for me but decided it was not made for trucks in rough country,,

Reactions: Rwb
Post up some pic's
I used to run a Hustler CG 144 on the trunk of my Buick la sabre , on 2 meters with a 100 watts I could talk from north of Fresno to a repeater up in Pacifica.
The down side to it was that in the city around a lot of buildings, it was not as efficient as my little 1/4 wave.

Jeff
i have a cg 144 and loved it on my pontiac,,, sold car kept antenna,,, want to put on bull bumper on my truck someday,,, but to let know a secret the cg144 will load up nice on 10 meters too,,,,

Yes, I used it on ten as well, it will not tune on the CB band , not the way it is built.
I used it with the ground kit when I lived up on peg leg at 30 feet and it worked well on all the local repeaters.
I had a old hygain 14 element yagi sitting horizontal for ssb.

I don't know if anyone uses 2 meter ssb anymore and I lost interest in repeater chatter and don't do much vhf stuff anymore.

Jeff

Post up some pic's

Jeff
I ran that antenna and I still think k it's the best 2meter antenna yoh can get.

Reactions: Rwb
Post up some pic's

Jeff
Post up some pic's

Jeff
never had a complaint with hustler antennas. my mx 270 (think thats right) always got out decent. and out of the box swr low on both bands.
ive used hustler cb and ham antennas

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?