• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Green HAM Needs Guidance on Mobile Dual-Band 2m/70cm Rig.

If you you think you might want to use crossband repeat, to extend the range of a handheld, go with the Kenwood TM-V71A. It is the only one with a built in ID'er. Most hams forget it must ID on both bands, not just the band you are transmitting on.
Rich

I'm still a noobie, can you explain the ID'ing on both hands and how the Kenwood solves that, please?

I'm still a noobie, can you explain the ID'ing on both hands and how the Kenwood solves that, please?
OK, this can get confuseing. When you operate xband repeat, your HT will most likely be set to 440, to link to a distant 2 meter repeater from the radio in you car. So when you transmit to the 2 meter repeater with your hanheld, the mobile radio repeats the signal out on 2 meter, at the same time you are transmitting on 440. YOu can ID from your handheld, which then goes out on your mobile on 2 meter, but when you recieve back from you mobile, it can not ID, unless it has an ID'er to do it for you. So you either have to add one to your mobile dual band rig, or buy one that has it built in. Last I checked only the Kenwood has it.
Rich

You don't need an expensive radio like Icom IC-2820H or Yaesu FTM-350R if you don't plan on using D-STAR or APRS. As Moleculo said, it's an "overkill". I go with his choice of getting Yaesu FT-8800R.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.