• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ground plane vs metal mast

That's waaaaaay more work than I want to do.

Yup. “I just wanna . . . “ (leads to head hitting brick wall).

“The Problem” (a way to look at all this) is that those pesky key words have distinct definitions in this hobby.

One might say that licensure is command of a specialized vocabulary (law, medicine or electrical engineering) as discussions pivot on addition or subtraction of those key words as being applicable to the problem at hand.

Once we start to stack up up principles (concepts; think of them as short paragraphs) one new to the subject has slid off of an icy road as those definitions (tire studs) are missing.

One long turn in the road and we are off in the ditch.

Each kindly attempt at help above has words which describe physical (existing in this world) and theoretical (formulaic notations put into words). Emphasis of either more one than the other is by the contributors experience.

What worked for him.

Remember Popular Science magazines’, “Wordless Workshop”?
Only cartoon panels of a desired outcome — step-by-step — as to be constructed by the reader.

But the reader must first grasp both tools & supplies shown, then have some familiarity with the process shown to have any hope of success.

Currently, you’re the guy just got on the bus. (Here, I’ll share my seat with you: “we’re on our way to Radio Camp!”).

Definitions
are supplies.

Theory
is what connects (tools).

My ONLY point is that some study will be required.

Study
(for me) has thus far been installation of mobile gear in a big truck (some experience prior to becoming more serious) and acquainting myself with problems encountered. Not the whole enchilada at once. But why the cheese always runs out.

Isolation of one problem at a time.
(Why a DC Ground IS NOT an RF Ground, is an example).

1). I have to read on the details inside the “parts”;

2). before I can hope to assemble components (comprised of several parts);

3). before I can hope to understand the way components acting together bring about the desired outcome.

There’s not much here that we can’t overlay whatever it is you do for a living and you’ve been assigned a really smart 17-year old to take from Zero-to-Sixty in what it is you do. That he do it just as well as you can.

(Radio is a manly subject).

To sum it up: those key words are hyper-linked to definitions. Tire studs.

The off-topic suggestion to follow the map by one man is via Consistency-of-Explanation more than it is strictly “expertise”. The owner of Joe Bobs CB & Bait House might be “better” in getting a start than Sir Reginald of the Royal Academy so far as that’s concerned. (Tap, tap).

And, Welcome!!

(Whew! Writing a Handy Andy post is work!)

Last edited:
Yup. “I just wanna . . . “ (leads to head hitting brick wall).

“The Problem” (a way to look at all this) is that those pesky key words have distinct definitions in this hobby.

One might say that licensure is command of a specialized vocabulary (law, medicine or electrical engineering) as discussions pivot on addition or subtraction of those key words as being applicable to the problem at hand.

Once we start to stack up up principles (concepts; think of them as short paragraphs) one new to the subject has slid off of an icy road as those definitions (tire studs) are missing.

One long turn in the road and we are off in the ditch.

Each kindly attempt at help above has words which describe physical (existing in this world) and theoretical (formulaic notations put into words). Emphasis of either more one than the other is by the contributors experience.

What worked for him.

Remember Popular Science magazines’, “Wordless Workshop”?
Only cartoon panels of a desired outcome — step-by-step — as to be constructed by the reader.

But the reader must first grasp both tools & supplies shown, then have some familiarity with the process shown to have any hope of success.

Currently, you’re the guy just got on the bus. (Here, I’ll share my seat with you: “we’re on our way to Radio Camp!”).

Definitions
are supplies.

Theory
is what connects (tools).

My ONLY point is that some study will be required.

Study
(for me) has thus far been installation of mobile gear in a big truck (some experience prior to becoming more serious) and acquainting myself with problems encountered. Not the whole enchilada at once. But why the cheese always runs out.

Isolation of one problem at a time.
(Why a DC Ground IS NOT an RF Ground, is an example).

1). I have to read on the details inside the “parts”;

2). before I can hope to assemble components (comprised of several parts);

3). before I can hope to understand the way components acting together bring about the desired outcome.

There’s not much here that we can’t overlay whatever it is you do for a living and you’ve been assigned a really smart 17-year old to take from Zero-to-Sixty in what it is you do. That he do it just as well as you can.

(Radio is a manly subject).

To sum it up: those key words are hyper-linked to definitions. Tire studs.

The off-topic suggestion to follow the map by one man is via Consistency-of-Explanation more than it is strictly “expertise”. The owner of Joe Bobs CB & Bait House might be “better” in getting a start than Sir Reginald of the Royal Academy so far as that’s concerned. (Tap, tap).

And, Welcome!!

I was referring to all of this work in these PDFs.

https://www.wrblock.com/StationProtection/StationProtection.html

Reactions: Slowmover

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.