• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Grounding a base antenna?? Lightning

I agree 543, but trees are full of water and pretty conductive. The utility pole is kiln dried, and pressure treated so it won't absorb water and is much less conductive.

Yes but lightning starts off as a static build up and that pole will allow static to accumulate fairly well especially once it gets wet from the first rainfall not to mention the electrically conductive coax cable running up it.

Yes but lightning starts off as a static build up and that pole will allow static to accumulate fairly well especially once it gets wet from the first rainfall not to mention the electrically conductive coax cable running up it.

Very true, but the wooden pole is still not as conductive as a metal pole or tower. Also it seems like the strongest lightning precedes the rain (at least here anyway). Besides, the static buildup in a run of coax will be miniscule compared to the buildup in a metal tower. Like you said earlier, if lightning wants to strike something, you can't stop it. But you don't have to give it a written invitation.

Very true, but the wooden pole is still not as conductive as a metal pole or tower. Also it seems like the strongest lightning precedes the rain (at least here anyway). Besides, the static buildup in a run of coax will be miniscule compared to the buildup in a metal tower. Like you said earlier, if lightning wants to strike something, you can't stop it. But you don't have to give it a written invitation.

Your situation is a little different than most. The guys that I worry about are the ones that have coax running into their home and refuse the ground an antenna because they think it attracts lightning. One in particular won't ever disconnect his equipment and will talk right through a storm.

I know one guy that got hit and even though his radios were disconnected and survived the lightning jumped from the coax to some electrical wiring where it passed through the wall. Fried a lot of his other electronics. The imax 2000 was a pile of splinters. If the tower and coax were grounded properly I think the damage to other electronics in his home could have been reduced.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
Very interesting thread. i thought i was good but have to rethink my thinking. Oh boy. My a99 is mounted to a steel mast thats attached to a steel fencepost. I ran my coax down through the pipe and out the bottom of the pipe. The fencepost is in poured concrete about 2 feet or so below grade. Its just a temporary setup untill i put up my tower. Do you think i need more grounding?

Reactions: Rwb
Very interesting thread. i thought i was good but have to rethink my thinking. Oh boy. My a99 is mounted to a steel mast thats attached to a steel fencepost. I ran my coax down through the pipe and out the bottom of the pipe. The fencepost is in poured concrete about 2 feet or so below grade. Its just a temporary setup untill i put up my tower. Do you think i need more grounding?
mine is miunted about the same.steel T post 6 ft long driven in the ground with 2 ft out of ground.steel pipe connected to the t post used grinder n made shiny contac points used silver contac grease then up to antenna same shiny connection used the silver conection grease too up there.i unscrew my 259 n put it in a gallon glass jar anytime im gone or think a electric storm is coming

One thing you really need to be sure of is that ALL of your connections are hard crimped to the point that the wire should break before it comes out of the connector.(military specifications)
Using solder is risky. Silver solder will melt just like tin lead solder when hit with the electrical load from lightning. We use to crimp them with a hydraulic crimping tool.
We did not solder them because of the copper would be annealed(Softened) from the heat.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.