• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

grounding location Concrete base questions

gasbag

Mar 9, 2012
Mars
So, I've identified the 1st choice location for the tower I hope to erect this summer. Talked to Rohn and they suggested the 25G 40'. Mounted on a concrete pad and an additional house clamp. Maco M104C.

BUT. The location I would like is right next to our incoming underground phone lines and hub. It is nowhere near the incoming Ac service or house grounding. When I have the tower electrically grounded, I would guess they would use one or multiple Cu poles.

Will this risk screwing up my phones even in non-event conditions?
How deep should the concrete base sit?
Can I use a post hole digger to put a 3 ft deep core/plug for the base, add a couple of re-bar and then just pour the base 6"-deep into the earth and however high above as is needed?

Any problem with ground rods in the very near vicinity to a septic tank? No kidding,, I know,, crappy issue.

How did you folks build your bases where space, landscaping, house design etc, posed issues for location?

Oh and finally,,,what do you ask or require of an antenna installer?

I think you might talk to Rohn again about that mounting pad. I think your estimate is just a bit shy of what you'll need.
Grounding isn't a simple subject, yhere's really a lot to it. It's not easy to do right, so finding out more about it is a very good idea.
Not much help, but about all I would offer with out knowing a lot more about your circumstances.
- 'Doc

Reactions: 1 person
gasbag, it might not be a good idea to add your copper ground rod to the cement foundation like some do. I would think it won't be pretty if lightning were to hit the rod buried in concrete.

I checked Rohn's' info on mounting and grounding.
Looks like a 4'x4'x4' hole for the concrete and rebar, and 3 ground rods, one off of each leg of the tower.

I checked Rohn's' info on mounting and grounding.
Looks like a 4'x4'x4' hole for the concrete and rebar, and 3 ground rods, one off of each leg of the tower.

That's exactly how a tower company installed my free standing 40 footer at the office.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.