• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

grundig S350

Grundig has been a respected name in the past. You probably could do a lot worse.

Did you read the user comments on the link you posted? They might help.

As long as it has inputs for an external antenna you'll probably be happy with it. Remember that propagation conditions are pretty terrible right now; in a year or so, who knows? But for an AM-only SW receiver (no CW, no SSB) that also works on FM, you'll quite probably like this Grundig.

yup i read all the reviews on rat shack for it along with all the amazon reviews and the E-ham reviews......

i kinda wanted to make sure there wasnt another radio i somehow missed that my 100 bucks or so would be better spent on...

i knew about the eton one chop...thanx for the heads up tho...

it does have inputs for an external antenna....i've got a 45' wire up here at about 50' that i plan to use on it..... maybe....

ive already got that wire hooked to my hallicrafters model S-40B so i may just put up a new one for the grundig....

the hallicrafters is a awesome radio but it is very "hands-on" and theres times you just want to listen and not mess around.....

the nice thing about the grundig is if i want to i can take it downstairs to the kitchen or something wth me if id like to

i think i may pick one of these guys up when i get paid...if i do i'll give you guys a report on it

scott

If you're going to be using it in the kitchen, don't forget to provide an external antenna you can use there. Also, the kitchen is a likely source of lots of electrical noise.

I started out in 1958 as a SWL, with an SX-99 and a hunk of bell wire running kittycorner across my bedroom ceiling. And with that sorry lashup I heard the whole world, quite literally, from Las Vegas. Australia, Germany, Japan, Radio Moscow, HCJB ("The Voice of the Andes, in Quito, Ecuador"), plus lots of AM BCB stuff.

If you're going to be using it in the kitchen, don't forget to provide an external antenna you can use there. Also, the kitchen is a likely source of lots of electrical noise.

I started out in 1958 as a SWL, with an SX-99 and a hunk of bell wire running kittycorner across my bedroom ceiling. And with that sorry lashup I heard the whole world, quite literally, from Las Vegas. Australia, Germany, Japan, Radio Moscow, HCJB ("The Voice of the Andes, in Quito, Ecuador"), plus lots of AM BCB stuff.

Is there any SWL'er that has been around for a while that hasn't heard HCJB? They smoked into here on 5980 and 9580 every day. Hey Pat,do you remember what HCJB stood for? Don't look it up just THINK for a minute.

"Heralding Christ Jesus' Blessings".

I can see it on one of the many QSLs I received from them, although I'm using my mind's eye 'cuz you told me not to look it up and just think. Now I'm dizzy and my head hurtz...all this thinkin'... But next week I get to go back to school where I can bedevil, bother, worry, frazzle, torment and generally teach the kids they send me.

One of the reading evaluation programs I was working last year involves having the kids read about 3/4 of a page containing a short couple of paragraphs about a "famous" person, or unusual animal, or some other subject the folks who developed the program felt would keep the interest of 4th graders. The "famous people" were like Billie Jean King, Bruce Lee, Mohammed Ali, Helen Keller and such. These kids had absolutely no idea who Billie Jean King is, much less who Helen Keller was. We wound up doing the reading evaluation, followed by me telling what I knew about the person in question. When I got to the part about Billie Jean humiliating Bobby Riggs, and told them that I had personally WATCHED it on TV, I sort of became a hero!

An OLD hero, but still....!

Last edited:
Its a good radio for the money, i own one that i use at work. It will not keep up with a good communications receiver but it does pull in the strong ones just fine. One feature i like is you can switch from 4 C batteries or 4AA batteries if you want to cut the weight down. One thing i don't like about it is it has no beat frequency oscillator for listening to ssb stations. It dont hold a candle to my panasonic rf 2200 which is several years older,but ive aligned it and cleaned it up. The main problem i find looking into the rf2200 is if the audio ic fails, it might be hard to find another one without just getting another radio for parts.

Hey Bioman i was having the same problem as you deciding what swr to buy for under a $100.00 i would say look into a kaito ka1103 a lot more bang for your buck and you will get ssb. hope this helps you.

lol

this post is from back last september........

i bought the grundig and it seems to do OK for casual SW and late-night MW listening

i ended up running it into my antenna switch and usually put it on my G5RV

or i use the built-in whip if i have it portable.........

decent audio etc from it

where i have found that this little guy REALLY shines is for FM broadcast listening......i ran a full=wave FM broadcast band di-pole here in the shack fed with a chunk of TV cable (75ohm) and get AMAZING results.....

i live literally 100 yards from WRFY ROCK HITS Y102- Berks County's #1 Station and as a result their signal used to saturate every FM radio i owned here in the house at least...hell i think they came thru my electric toothbrush a couple times

not at all the case with this little grundig............ EXCELLENT separation and sensitivity and with my little di-pole i'm picking up low power college stations from the philiadelphia and harrisburg areas when before i wasn't even able to get WMMR or WYSP which run much higher power

i have a patch cord so i can run the headphone jack into my REAL stereo set up here in the shack which consists of a pair of IDQ 8" subwoofers in a sealed box driven by a dynaco QSA-300 wired for 2 channel , a pair of CDT audio 6" drivers driven by a dynaco ST-70 tube amp,a set of morel tweeters also being driven by a dynaco ST-70 everything first runs thru my dynaco PAS-3 tube preamp and then into a gemini CX-1000 crossover to send the right frequencies to the right amplifiers...........its not the best set=up in the world but it seems to work fine for me

to break it down on a 10 scale.now mind you these are JUST MY OPINIONS and all i have to compare is my hallicrafters S-40B and the gen coverage receive in the TS-940

ease of use 8.5

SW-MW listening 6.5

portability and battery usage 7.5

audio (using built in speaker)8

FM listening 10 (with a full-wave dipole for FM broadcast band)

value for 100 bucks solid 8

scott

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.