• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

GS-Mfg mobile HF antenna VS. everyone ELSE

BenMara

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Jan 16, 2013
SC swamplands
I know ive posted this on other Amateur Forums, im just not getting the answers im looking for.

Finding alot of info on the Scorpion mobile antenna, but nothing on the GS mfg antenna. No current reviews on eHam
Anyone have experience, or info on them. Not much info on his site either.

No plans to use auto tuner. Really looking for mounting pics, and recent review or actual owners of the antenna. My big motivation for a GS is price is Sub $900. No Hi-Q, or Tarheel, read few about failures on the web..

Well im looking for some thing that id never want to replace, just do maint. on the antenna.

Sorry, never heard of them before you asked your question. I'm familiar with the Scorpion antennas, but you've already seen them.
- 'Doc

I don't keep up with HF mobile antennas much. 'Course, once you got the best, there's no need! (Sorry 'bout that, couldn't resist.)
- 'Doc

Several of the antennas look similar to a traditional screwdriver antenna; others look a lot like the Hi-Q design. I would expect them to work similar as the other designs, but in a mobile environment durability is often the most important quality (in my experience)

Reactions: 1 person
Several of the antennas look similar to a traditional screwdriver antenna; others look a lot like the Hi-Q design. I would expect them to work similar as the other designs, but in a mobile environment durability is often the most important quality (in my experience)

I ran a High Sierra Sidekick for a couple of years, it was sited on the roof of my car all that time, I'd like to say it worked flawlessly in that time, however it didn't, regular maintenance is a must, and when I once ignored it, water ingress from where the whip attached, then down the screw jack and into the gearbox and motor became a big problem, only because I'm tight and was prepared to strip and rebuild the motor and gearbox did I save myself the expense of a new motor and gearbox, an import from the US being the only source. My friend wasn't so lucky, not that it costs a fortune, just moderate expense and loss of use, I was able to avoid both (y)

I ran a High Sierra Sidekick for a couple of years, it was sited on the roof of my car all that time, I'd like to say it worked flawlessly in that time, however it didn't, regular maintenance is a must, and when I once ignored it, water ingress from where the whip attached, then down the screw jack and into the gearbox and motor became a big problem, only because I'm tight and was prepared to strip and rebuild the motor and gearbox did I save myself the expense of a new motor and gearbox, an import from the US being the only source. My friend wasn't so lucky, not that it costs a fortune, just moderate expense and loss of use, I was able to avoid both (y)

I have noticed this as I run a HS SideKick. I have changed the spring a couple of times already. I know when its time to change it when I have a hard time finding the sweet spot. As for performance the antenna works great now that i replaced the whip with a 72" one.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.