• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Guitar amp question.

which amp do you have?
LC
It is a old Gregory Mark XV. Hasn't been used in years. I replaced all the electrolytics. It was buzzing like crazy. And replaced the jacks with Switchcraft. Got ready to put it back together and noticed the big filter cap.

I read that most of the multi canaster capacitors were per amp. Some are hard to find. But it is not crucial if they are the exactly the same UF. As long as they are close. Higher UF more bass. Less and the amp sounds more treblier.

Looks like 60 uF @ 350VDC / 60uF @350VDC / 60uF @ 50VDC.. If you cannot find the exact can, order separate "radial" capacitors for each one. If you cannot even find individual caps at those values, go the next closest value in capacitance and voltage rating higher, (NEVER lower). Observe polarities. I would suspect this cap is used for filtering in the power supply for the amp.
Modern caps are much smaller, so some restorers "gut" those old cans and re-stuff them with modern individual caps. It can get very messy, but often, there's plenty of space inside them to do that. It keeps old gear looking original, even with new components.

Now I can see better... 2 x 60uf caps at 350 volts and 1 50uf cap at 50 volts
CanCap.jpg

Unlike in most sections of a radio if those caps are part of the audio chain they act as part of the sound reproduction. Changing the values greatly affects the sound characteristics and the sound quality. They act as filter. Generally a lower mfd value increases highs and a larger mfd rating decreases highs and increases lows. Switching between cap material make up has a huge impact on the end sound.

So if it is in audio chain you can change voltage and go to better esr rating but stay with the same material and mfd rating to keep sound close to original. If it is in the power filters bigger is often better to a point. Higher voltage rating, better ripple current rating, better temp rating and such all good. Usually when it comes to upgrading the mfd rating of power caps 30% to 50% increase is the max increase that usually pays off above that you seldom see any improvement and contrary to popular belief you can actual start to see unwanted side affects in an audio amp.

So have you decided which model to use after this one?
I am not well versed in these amplifiers, so I would like to understand what more experienced users think. For me, a guitar is just a guitar, not a huge number of different accessories. I only recently started buying picks, and I used to play even without them. Most of all, I like to order it on the shop guitar accessories website, as there is a very large selection and fairly low prices. Everything is very expensive connected with musical instruments, so such a service is a real find for me. So you can look at the amplifiers on this site; they are there; I didn't look for them myself.

You have options. You can still purchase multi-cap cans. You can re-stuff the original cap with modern caps, or you can eliminate that old design and just put new modern caps in the circuit.

I did not realize this thread was still going. The Cap showed up months ago I installed it and everything is working great. Now on to my next project. It is a Mojotone 5 watt Fender Champ Kit. The case is made and turned out perfect. Now I have to get up the nerve to glue on the Tolex. By that time the weather will be terrible and I can spend some time inside assembling the Amp.

I did not realize this thread was still going. The Cap showed up months ago I installed it and everything is working great. Now on to my next project. It is a Mojotone 5 watt Fender Champ Kit. The case is made and turned out perfect. Now I have to get up the nerve to glue on the Tolex. By that time the weather will be terrible and I can spend some time inside assembling the Amp.

Attachments

• 20221009_094036.jpg
    20221009_094036.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 62
Reactions: AudioShockwav

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated