• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Guitar amp question.

Low_Boy

Jan 21, 2010
Rochester N.Y.
So this amplifier is well over 50 years old. I got it well used when I was 12 or 13. Oh wow am I old. I am going over it and need to know what something is I believe it is a capacitor only markings are 60 mfd with a circle with flat bottom, 60 mfd with a square next to it , and 50 mfd with a triangle. I am sure the little markings are pins where the wires go. The can is soldered to chassis. Here is a Pic. So what do I replace it with?

Attachments

• 20220327_154008.jpg
    20220327_154008.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 111

OK, I did some digging and that is a multi-section (3) capacitor and from what I can find that specific value is most likely not manufactured anymore. You may need to do some re-engineering with individual caps in the amp to make things work.
I found that they do still make multi-section caps, but not with those values.

Here is a link to a forum that might help,

OK, I did some digging and that is a multi-section (3) capacitor and from what I can find that specific value is most likely not manufactured anymore. You may need to do some re-engineering with individual caps in the amp to make things work.
I found that they do still make multi-section caps, but not with those values.

Here is a link to a forum that might help,

Depending on the voltage of his original cap he can still get a can cap. Just get a higher uf and voltage rating. Or as I said above you can use 3 individual caps.

Reactions: 999

Or, build your own! Which I think is more fun anyway!!!

David

Reactions: sunbulls
Depending on the voltage of his original cap he can still get a can cap. Just get a higher uf and voltage rating. Or as I said above you can use 3 individual caps.
Agreed. I just couldn't find anything with a 60V rating. He'd probably end up with a 350V across all 3 sections which wouldn't hurt anything. Just have to make sure the Mfd rating is high enough.

Very low voltage 50v all the modern caps are 500v which is probably better. If I figured right that is 170 MFD. I would like to stick with a 1 piece cap or condenser.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.