• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Guy wires needed??

2 puny sections of Dill tower with an Antron being weighed down by a concrete block of those deminsions equal: No big deal.

Unless it can fall over on someething important. just keep stuff away from any possible inpact zone.

Of course, anything can happen...

Enjoy your "rigged" antenna project.

I only have a sirio 2016 on it and have no way to guy this but also I will be moving again here soon:( I lost my grandmother last Sunday she was 91 and I found that my mother is moving into her home since it is smaller and I was given my childhood home. It's not too far from where I am now but it is back in Illinois but no HOA! I should be moved (home) in the next two months. Anybody want to buy a house? 4 Bed/ 2 bath 2 1/2 car garage direct access to lake with pier and no HOA. Home is about 1 year old with all new stainless appliances and 2 2011 Kawasaki SX-r 800 jet skis home sits on 2 1/2 lots = .87 acres paid $377,000 plus jet ski's asking $275,000 Property tax is $5300 a year.

Which doesn't matter if it cracks @ 6" deep. It'll peel that section right up out of the 23k# pad. Even if it's re-barred in, it'll get loose.

That's what I was thinking about that. My fear with 75 feet of tower on that base are what the vibrations from the wind will do over time. I have seen brick chimneys crack from the vibrations of an antenna mounted on it and 75 feet of tower will do even more vibrating. Once that tower breaks the concrete there will be no stopping it on the way down.Think about the foot-pounds of overturning torque that beast would have. :eek: Hell I had concerns about my 64 foot freestanding tower in a 5x5x5 1/2 foot deep hole but my wind load will be nearly 20 square feet when I am finished not counting the area of the mast.

BTW, to the original poster, I hear you about the slate. I know all about it. See my tower thread here.

http://www.worldwidedx.com/amateur-radio-antennas/118335-i-finally-ordered-new-tower-today.html

This is what I had to contend with. See the slate in the bottom of the hole? I rented an electric jack hammer.

img2293x.jpg

As someone else mentioned, if its close enough to the house; make a mount to brace it off the house. A simple "T" brace off the house framing will make a fairly stout mount.

That's what my folks did way back when...the tower folded over right at that brace during a tornado indicating the tower itself was the next weakest point (not sure guying would have helped much). The based was buried in a 24 inch diameter hole about 4 feet deep...so not much of a base for a 35+ foot tower and one of the larger TV antennas of that time period.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.