• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Guy wires or not?

cybordolphin

Aug 24, 2010
At what point should guy wires be used?

I am mounting an A99 on a 5ft mast. This will be mounted on a balcony. A few feet from the eve of the house.

The second floor plus the 5 ft mast should get me near or over 30ft from the ground to bottom of the antenna.

What are your thoughts....?.

We do not get high winds here but on occassion.

The A-99 antenna is 18 ft long by itself. Be concerned for power wires when putting it up - or if it should fall due to high winds. Very important to consider in case it should accidentally come down.

In either event, dacron guy rope is a bit more costly that regular guy wire, but also is non-conductive. If you can attach the mast before it leaves the eaves of the building, you should be all right...

Are guy wires attached to the actual antenna or are they for securing the mast?

I am using a short mast 5' and the mast will be VERY solidly mounted. Likely to the railing on the balcony. The mast can be attached as high up as the 3 ft point on the mast (attached to the balcony railing-which is 3 ft or so tall).

If the 5' mast is attached solid with no chance of movement, would I still need to be concerned with the antenna itself (18ft tall)?

There are no electrical wires to worry about.

Guying is generally attached to the mast. But in your case - with just 5 ft above the eave - it hardly seems necessary to me. Just secure it at the eave and at the base of the mast. Just watch out for power wires!

Actually.... I wasn't going to mount it to the eave..... but rather just to the balcony railing. But the eve would actually probably work better and maybe allow a taller mast.

Thanks for the input.

Guy wires are for mechanical support and strength. I would think that if the mount for the mast is done well (strong), and there's not a huge amount of wind, you'd probably be okay without those guys. Then again, it's better to have them and not need them than the other way around. You'd know more about the mounting stability and all that for your antenna set up than I do, so you decide.
- 'Doc

Is there a general rule that once you reach a certain height mast that you defenitely want to go with guy wires? 10ft, 20ft, etc.?

Hello, thought I'd let you know, I have an Imax2000 antenna (24 ft) long mounted on 3 sections of telescoped masting in (8 inches) and bolted together. The bottom is in the ground about 1 foot and I have a ground rod driven in beside and clamped at the bottom.Up about 13 feet from the ground I have a mast clamp that is bolted to my eve just under my gutter. In all it stands about 26.5 feet to the top, my guy wire ring is about 1 foot from the top. I have it guyed at 3 points. In all my tip of my antenna is just under 50 feet and gets out really well. I have used this set up for almost 10 years and it has faired some heavy winds quite well. I can snap some pics if you wish. Any questions feel free to ask :)

Tuner

Tuner.... pics would be great. Not sure I am invisioning the setup correctly. Three sections of 8 inches each? I think maybe you mean each section goes into the other by 8 inches....

Your guy wires are attached to the antenna? Pics will help.... Thanks!

Tuner.... pics would be great. Not sure I am invisioning the setup correctly. Three sections of 8 inches each? I think maybe you mean each section goes into the other by 8 inches....

Your guy wires are attached to the antenna? Pics will help.... Thanks!

Yes that's right, 8 inches telescoped together one inside the other. I used the electrical pipe, it is galvanized, looks something like top rail for chain link fences but the walls are a little thicker. You can get it a Home Depot in the electrical section I used 1 in. then 1 1/4 in. then 1 1/2 in. then bolt them together. My yard is small so I had the three sections all put together, then took it all apart and slid the sections into one another but kept it up far enough not to drop them through using gear clamps. They work good to secure the mast until you have the bolt holes lined up , so the guy ring and wires and the antenna would be attached, you put it in place, push it up accordingly get your eve clamp ready, tighten and adjust your guys and you are all set.

ps . guy ring and wires are on the mast about 1 foot below where the antenna is mounted

Snow has never been a problem...

Last edited:
pics

imaxpics004.jpg

imaxpics003.jpg

imaxpics002.jpg

imaxpics001.jpg

imaxpics005.jpg

that's a well supported install . looks nice . i was planning to attach my mounting bracket with pressure treated lumber just like you did ;) not gonna go as high though .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.