• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HAM BIG MAC

Bump for what BM? Did you read Big Mac **Jump_im**(y)?

many new names here in the past 4 years , thought some may not of herd of HIBM and might find it interesting . if not ....... it's only a few wasted electrons bumping it . :D

never did care for the big mac , but the monster burger is awesome !!!! (y)

800px-Monster_Thickburger_Hardees.jpg

You think thats tall. Look at this thing. Most of this guys stuff looks pretty messed up. What do you fellas think?
High Performance CB Antennas

I personally know Big Hair and his antennas. He lives 125 miles south of me and at night on CH 1 we can talk to each other. His main antenna is almost 40 feet tall and he can hear and talk to me when i'm on my Moonraker 4 running barefoot. The guy was in the Army signal corp and he knows his stuff.

i wonder how it would do in 60-70 MPH winds ?

"Finally, a mast mount version of the 11 meter "collinear" CB antenna is available. No other omni directional CB antenna can come
close to the gain of this antenna. Typically has 6 db (approx), over any other 5/8 wave antenna. It is designed to have extra long
range communications, due to its very low angle of radiation. Highest gain for any omni directional CB antenna made today. The
collinear pictured is literally "two" (hence double the gain of any 5/8th wave CB antenna made today). The 5/8th wave antenna
elements vertically phased and stacked on top of each other. Can often talk 100+ miles locally with this antenna, at 1 wavelength
(approx 36' above ground). This antenna is made out of a silver plated teflon heavy duty and high guage wire, and a silver plated coil,
to further enhance the gain of this vertical CB antenna. As far as gain, this omni directional CB antenna can keep up with a 3
element beam in all directions, with very similar gain!"

i'm always leery of big gain claims and when a omni is said to have the gain of a 3 element (or bigger) beam it usually gets my BS meter going . but i don't know anything about "collinear" antennas . i can't figure out where the feed-point on it is either . if it's on the bottom and they were compared at the same feed-point height the 50ft tip height advantage would seem to have a lot to do with their results ........ just guessing ......

i wonder how it would do in 60-70 MPH winds ?

"Finally, a mast mount version of the 11 meter "collinear" CB antenna is available. No other omni directional CB antenna can come
close to the gain of this antenna. Typically has 6 db (approx), over any other 5/8 wave antenna. It is designed to have extra long
range communications, due to its very low angle of radiation. Highest gain for any omni directional CB antenna made today. The
collinear pictured is literally "two" (hence double the gain of any 5/8th wave CB antenna made today). The 5/8th wave antenna
elements vertically phased and stacked on top of each other. Can often talk 100+ miles locally with this antenna, at 1 wavelength
(approx 36' above ground). This antenna is made out of a silver plated teflon heavy duty and high guage wire, and a silver plated coil,
to further enhance the gain of this vertical CB antenna. As far as gain, this omni directional CB antenna can keep up with a 3
element beam in all directions, with very similar gain!"

i'm always leery of big gain claims and when a omni is said to have the gain of a 3 element (or bigger) beam it usually gets my BS meter going . but i don't know anything about "collinear" antennas . i can't figure out where the feed-point on it is either . if it's on the bottom and they were compared at the same feed-point height the 50ft tip height advantage would seem to have a lot to do with their results ........ just guessing ......

Without tweaking the model to try and change the phase angles using different dimensions on the phasing stub and maybe the two radials, here is what my quick and dirty modeling idea of this stacked collienar 5/8 wave looks like BM, albeit is almost totally impractical unless maybe installed as a standoff to a support of some type that didn't ill-affect the pattern too bad.

View attachment IMG.pdf

Last edited:
Collinear_pattern2-590x560.png

your plot and numbers are similar to big-hairs , but his numbers are a bit higher and his plot is flatter .

any idea where the feedpoint is on that thing ? is it center fed like the gainmaster or a dipole ? bottom fed ?

Collinear_pattern2-590x560.png

your plot and numbers are similar to big-hairs , but his numbers are a bit higher and his plot is flatter .

any idea where the feedpoint is on that thing ? is it center fed like the gainmaster or a dipole ? bottom fed ?

Well BM, this pattern is skewed and like I said, I didn't try to tweak the model, It is just two 22.5' foot radiators connected with a 1/4 wave stub that is 6" apart, which is likely to wide, and two 9' radials attached at the bottom feed point.

If you will look at his image you can see his coil at the radials, and if you look at my model you will see the little red circle is the feed point and it too is at the bottom.

albeit is almost totally impractical unless maybe installed as a standoff to a support of some type that didn't ill-affect the pattern too bad.

If I understand what I am seeing, the antenna in the picture is supported by two ropes between two trees.
I may be wrong, but I "think" that is how it is mounted, and like Eddie has said, bottom feed....look at the coax choke at the bottom of the antenna.

jeff

Last edited:
If I understand what I am seeing, the antenna in the picture is supported by two ropes between two trees.
I may be wrong, but I "think" that is how it is mounted, and like Eddie has said, bottom feed....look at the coax choke at the bottom of the antenna.

jeff

No Jeff, my last model with the antenna mounted is attached to the side of the taller mast/tower, and is offset by 6' feet. You don't see the antenna supports, because they have to be non-conductive. I have to do it that way with Eznec, because I don't think we can make a wire that is not conductive, but I will look and see if it is possible to make a non-conductive support bracket. The antenna could also be strung between two tall trees as well, and be less affected by having a conductive mast close by.

We easily see the coax choke Jeff, but I pointed BM to the tuning coil as noted in the attached image. At the bottom of that is where the I think the feed point is located on BH's antenna, but that is just a guess.

BH's collinear .625 wave.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
Maybe the Big Hair antenna is made of PVC with a wire radiator, and hung between two trees just like he says. It looks like there is at least one support line just below the tuning stube in the middle.

Adding a mast makes the pattern and gain worse, so hanging this one seems the only way to go...if you can get it high enough.

I tweaked the stub length and spacing and got my gain and angle very close to what BH's Eznec model shows at 36', but his current pattern is much better than my model. So something else is going on with his antenna that I don't see. I have not tried to change the radiator lengths of 22.5' feet yet.

I believe the antenna on the picture is hanging between two trees with some way of keeping it from twirling around.

the pictures are not the best for sure.

I do remember reading on his web site yesterday that he will also build one that is mountable on a mast. The details of that are not provided.

I kind of like the idea of this antenna and as BM alluded somewhat to earlier. The capability of mounting said antenna at tall heights may have some good merit, not because of the height alone, but because of the colinear effect. Just some of my thoughts...

On edit: Yes, marconi the antenna is made of wire, on his web site he shows the copper he uses and compares it to the Imax 2k to show how much better quality his wire is.

I believe the antenna on the picture is hanging between two trees with some way of keeping it from twirling around.

the pictures are not the best for sure.

I do remember reading on his web site yesterday that he will also build one that is mountable on a mast. The details of that are not provided.

I kind of like the idea of this antenna and as BM alluded somewhat to earlier. The capability of mounting said antenna at tall heights may have some good merit, not because of the height alone, but because of the colinear effect. Just some of my thoughts...

On edit: Yes, marconi the antenna is made of wire, on his web site he shows the copper he uses and compares it to the Imax 2k to show how much better quality his wire is.

BH's antenna looks pretty thick in the picture. Do you think he also used PVC as the support for the wire?

Here is a modified shape for the stub that performs about like the 6' long stub I started with.

View attachment Collinear .625 vertical .pdf

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.