• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ham gear on lower side band 38

xm49north7

Mar 21, 2019
I was just off the lower 38, skip had just gone out, two fellows started up on some ham gear, sounded really good, so I listened in for a while till they got to there gear, one fellow was running a Yaesu FT-101 260 watts of pep says wiki. Do many people do this?? Run ham gear on cb. Why would ham guys want to run on 27 mhz?

Reactions: walterjn and Bow

Most likely because they can bring the power down in to the band, throw their callsign out the window... and have fun on the CB waves anonymously.
power was not down, since skip was off and there distance was large, they were using full power. Hey no big deal, but don't complain if a non lic. cb guy gets on your ham bands.

Reactions: walterjn
I was just off the lower 38, skip had just gone out, two fellows started up on some ham gear, sounded really good, so I listened in for a while till they got to there gear, one fellow was running a Yaesu FT-101 260 watts of pep says wiki. Do many people do this?? Run ham gear on cb. Why would ham guys want to run on 27 mhz?

I have seen several of your posts now where you are bemoaning guys who "sounded like" or "talked like" hams on the cb band. And they were running ham gear. Dude it happens all the time every day. Of the 25-30 local or regional people I talk to every week about 1/3 own and use Yaesu, Kenwood, or Icom radio's converted for 11m use. Maybe 3-4 have their ham ticket. The rest are just cb guys running ham gear on SSB, again it happens.

Last night I ran my Uniden Madison with a Texas Star 250, tonight I might run the Icom 718. Tomorrow who knows might run the Magnum 1 barefoot or the Magnum Delta Force with a Texas Star 350. Many people have several radio's and amplifiers they like to run. In my mobile right now I have a Magnum S-45HP. I talk 90% SSB, I like the extra power and channels. As long as your not really stepping on your wang or acting like a complete fool on 11m you will be left alone. And as a cb'er listen only on the ham bands and you will be fine.

Reactions: undertaker
Hey all good, No beef, I was just surprised that Hams would use 27 mhz, I thought they would have other bands more suitable. My question was , why would ham guys WANT to run on 27 mhz

why would ham guys WANT to run on 27 mhz

I can give you an example, 7.
I sold my CB stuff a couple of years ago because of the poor skip conditions and no locals. Got my ham license and enjoy it greatly. One night for the heck of it I gave the CB band a listen and lo and behold heard a group of locals I'd never heard before. About 4-5 guys who sound real nice. My transceiver doesn't transmit on 27 MHz. If it did, I'd join in.
A ham on CB.

Reactions: xm49north7
I can give you an example, 7.
I sold my CB stuff a couple of years ago because of the poor skip conditions and no locals. Got my ham license and enjoy it greatly. One night for the heck of it I gave the CB band a listen and lo and behold heard a group of locals I'd never heard before. About 4-5 guys who sound real nice. My transceiver doesn't transmit on 27 MHz. If it did, I'd join in.
A ham on CB.
Yes I think what I was listening to was a local ham talking to a cb GUY on an amp, down in the U.S.A, =====SO THIS WOULD MAKE SENSE.

I have my ham license but I would say I talk 75% CB and 25% ham bands. Why is this? It's because I used the CB for so many years that I know lots of people and enjoy the relaxed atmosphere more than the ham bands. When CB gets really messy with DX then it can be nice to go to the ham bands but it's definitely a different experience on each band.

I have my ham license but I would say I talk 75% CB and 25% ham bands. Why is this? It's because I used the CB for so many years that I know lots of people and enjoy the relaxed atmosphere more than the ham bands. When CB gets really messy with DX then it can be nice to go to the ham bands but it's definitely a different experience on each band.
Cool, I wish I new more about ham. I really enjoy the cb, but if it wasn't for skip there would be zip. I don't think ham is much better up here in my neck of the woods. I knw we have a repeater. I have no interest in this at all. To me that's just cell phone. I like the idea of radio. Radio to radio, nothing in between. So far quite happy with cb radio. My only wish is more people get involved. I am doing what I can to get a few guys up and running. If I had half a dozen locals I would be quite happy. As it stands there is nobody. I can spin the dial on every channel am/ssb, on a non skip day, and find nothing but a local gravel truck loading, for days.

Reactions: Rick330man
I was talking on 38 lsb the other day to a few guys. One had a yaesu ftdx 1200, the other had an ic 7300. Very polite, very informative about their radios/shacks. The guy with the yaesu said all hes run for years on 11 meter was ham rigs. Liked the filters and added control

That was 260 watts pep INPUT to the finals. Typically 100 watts OUTPUT to the antenna.

I get that, but why are ham guys bonking onto 27 mhz, they have scads of channels, why lock down my lsb 38 so nobody can use it. If it's anything goes maybe time to buy a Yaesu FT-101,

Just like in your other thread of the same topic the guys were most likely NOT hams.Perhaps but not likely.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated