• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ham lincess

N

nvcowboy25

can some one tell me what type of licness i need to use 10-12 meter radio will a tech class work or whats the deal i can't find any thing on the net that tell's me what clas for what meter or band

Nvcowboy, a tech with code will get you phone privileges on 10 meters from28.300 thru 28.500. My info may be wrong so maybe someone else could help. :D
73,Stu

even than you will be limited to cw (morse) and not phone(voice). general class would be what you need for phone (voice)

nvcowboy25 said:
can some one tell me what type of licness i need to use 10-12 meter radio will a tech class work or whats the deal i can't find any thing on the net that tell's me what clas for what meter or band

A technician's license will only give you part of the 10 meter band and only give you that if you take and pass the written exam plus a morse code reception test. To operate the entire 10 meter band plus the 12 meter band, you need a General's license and that exam requires you to take and pass the Tech written plus a General wirtten plus a morse code test.

It sounds like you have gotten or are thinking about getting a so-called "export" radio. Those radios are almost useless to a licensed amater.They cannot even be legally sold in the US They don't cover most of the 10 and 12 meter bands at all, and almost all acceptable amateur radios will provide the 160 meter, 80 meter, 75 meter, 40 meter, 20 meter, 17 meter, 15 meter, 12 meter and 10 meter bands. A Technician who has the morse code endorsement can use 10 meter, 15 meter, 40 meter and 80 meter amateur bands plus all amateur bands above 30 mhz. Why limit yourself to only parts of two bands?

Yuppers

first will be the technician written test
www.qrz.com/p/testing.pl

Try the Technician practice test and continue studying until you can score over 90% on that test EVERYTIME. Then check the internet for a test session near you

www.arrl.org/arrlvec/examsearch.phtml

Take the test and become a technician.

Continue to study above practice exams exept now study the General section until you have over 90% and look up online for a location and take the written test for general

you can combine both sections and test on the same day if you desire I am just to stupid to do them all in one day so I spread it out.

The the final part of your test to become a general

LEARN THE CODE!!!!!

Sound scary?

Its not, it is actually easy you only need 5 words per minute and I learned it in 10 days using Code Quick

www.cq2k.com/

none of the above is really that hard you just need dedication!

IN the mean time the 2950DX and 2970DX will cover ALL of the 10 and 12 meter band so listening is not so bad ,,,,,,,,,,,,,with the installation of a tiny plug in module you can add 11 meter (CB BAND) recieve to those radios,,,,,just dont talk on 11 meter part of the radio,,,,,,,,that would be illegal :LOL: :D :) 8) ;) :twisted:

Have fun

OK in order to do phone on both 10&12 you would need a general class license,that would be a written test and a 5wpm morse code test. But you could get a Tech license with the morse code endorsment 5wpm test and become a (tech+) which would give you phone privileges on 10 meters 28.300 thru 28.500 mhz.
I am almost certian that's the way it is.But things may have changed since i last looked.
73,Stu

Sound scary?

Its not, it is actually easy you only need 5 words per minute and I learned it in 10 days using Code Quick

How long did I have to harrass you to convince you of that?????

Stu, you are 100% correct about the phone privledges on 10 meters. Actually a Tech+ has CW privledges on 80, 40, 15, and 10 along with what you just mentioned.
Ed :D

I'm new to this forum and as well have been convinced of all they are saying. I ordered all of the manuals and morse cd's from ARRL, from the "Now Your Talking" manual, "General Class", as well as the "Morse" CD. My test is on the 7th of July, about 10 miles from where I live. I plan to take the "Technicians Plus" to start and proceed to the General Class in about 1 month.

I've listened (read) to alot of forum's, and found this to be the best and most informative. I wish I would have found this forum sooner, I wouldn't have bought the export radio that I spent 500 on. I've learned..........

My next radio will be an ICOM 706.
Good Luck.

_ _ ... ..._ _

-bobkat

i dunno

thank you all very much for your answers and sorry it took so long to post back

dxChat
Help Users