• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hand held antenna

Depends on what you use your HT for, and the conditions under which you use it.
You don't want anything too long if you clip it to your belt, the antenna will slap you on the head whenever you walk. Comet, Smiley and a couple others usually have a good compromise antenna that's far better than the stock unit. Most stock HT antennas are little more than a dummy load that radiates.
I also think the weight of some after market HT antennas are a factor, hanging a big flexible unit off an SMA connector can't be good for the connector or the area it's mounted to...

I'd look for something that'll give you a little better db gain over the stock antenna, and is under 12" tall.

Just remember, no matter how big, or how much gain the manufacturer claims their HT antenna has, you are still transmitting a 5 watt line of sight signal from ground level......

There are indeed many you can get..

I have so many hand held antennas it is not even funny..

But..
Likely the best for getting out and likely increasing your range are..

Diamond and Comet antennas.

mine are just like my base antennas..the largest i can get...lol

++ DIAMOND ANTENNA CORPORATION ++

but this is likely my favorite and best dual bander 2 meter / 440
SMA-24
Dual-band 2M/70cm HT Antenna
Super flexible and lightweight-
Made from the same material as
unbreakable eyeglass frames
Gain & Wave length:
2M 2.15dBi 1⁄4 wave
70cm 3.5dBi 5⁄8 wave
Max Power: 20 watts
Length: 15.75"
Connector: SMA

and Diamond SRH77CA

Diamond and Comet are the same basically but
the Comet is thiner and more flexible
Diamond more Sturdy (the connector and the antenna itself )

I think the Diamond works better
(many cops fear these big antennas..since 9-11 happening)

remember also however
hitting repeaters can be hard...
so a better antenna can easily make the difference.

That is why my T90a and 91AD are able to hit a repeater 50+ miles away (from street level..but on full 5 watt setting)

Make yourself a counterpoise (about 20" of stranded copper wire -- #22 or 24 is just fine). Unscrew the antenna, wrap the wire around the antenna jack and screw the antenna back down over the bare copper tightly to hold it in place. Put a 1/4" nut or some other small amount of weight on the end to hold the wire pretty much straight down.

This works with stock duckies as well as aftermarket "improvements". Five minutes' work and pennies for the wire will buy you significantly greater coverage than you have from the ducky alone.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.