• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Handheld CB

kbbgood

Feb 28, 2013
Steelville, Mo.
Just wondering if there is any Handheld cb radios out there. Looking for a small one so I can carry it with me on my atv and talk to the house on our base. It needs to get out there about 5-10 miles. Also needs to be less that 100 bucks

Best distance I ever got out of a CB handheld is a few miles, four or five at best and that was under ideal conditions at elevation. For short range 1-2 miles should be adequate anything further is dependent upon terrain. The primary issue is the limitation of a compact antenna.

Yes, if you're using it inside of a vehicle, you almost HAVE TO use an outside antenna. You are talking and trying to transmit inside of a big metal shield. Use a small mag mount. If you are using it outside the antenna that it comes with will work but realize a mile in a dense area is really pushing it at best. You're using 27mhz, and AM into a rubber duck type antenna which is less than even a compromise antenna. I am not trying to discourage you, but just don't want you to go spending money after asking for advice on here and then be disappointed, or have unrealistic expectations.

Why not mount a regular small chassis rig and full size antenna on the 4 wheeler? Do you need to be able to walk around with it?

RT307

Why not a frs/gmrs for close range or wouldn't a Murs do better if you can find one for under a Franklin.

Midland GXT1000VP4 36-Mile 50-Channel FRS/GMRS Two-Way Radio (Pair) (Black/Silver)
Amazon sells these

Last edited:
Why not a frs/gmrs for close range or wouldn't a Murs do better if you can find one for under a Franklin.

Midland GXT1000VP4 36-Mile 50-Channel FRS/GMRS Two-Way Radio (Pair) (Black/Silver)
Amazon sells these

If you actually believe the distances quoted on those or any other FRS/GMRS radios you are in for a HUGE disappointment and a dose of reality when you try them out. Those "36 mile" radios are good to about a mile or a bit more over normal terrain. If you were on a mountain to and the other station was on another mountain top with nothing in between you, you might,just might be able to actually achieve that distance if everything was in your favour.

Reactions: 1 person
I had a couple of $17 frs/gmrs radios that I used to help some friends move. Using them in separate vehicles we had 1/2 mile range. Those were 1/2 watters. I think that the MURS base and portable units will probably have better range. Terrain is everything.

I had a pair of top of the line motorola gmrs radios and they would only get about 2 miles when they were advertised to go 20 miles. Thats why I am trying to hook up with my home base.

I had a pair of top of the line motorola gmrs radios and they would only get about 2 miles when they were advertised to go 20 miles. Thats why I am trying to hook up with my home base.

Bottom line - a hand-held CB radio isn't going to get you the 5-10 mile range you specified in the OP. Even going to illegal power levels won't give a really great amount of reliability.

Any VHF (ham) repeaters in the area? If so, that would be my recommendation. Licenses aren't found in Cracker Jacks boxes, but they're almost that easy to get. And yes, you (and anyone else using amateur radio) would need to be licensed.

Depending on your properties terrain and such, I would look at picking up a cheap 2 meter 440 mobile that's modifiable for FRS frequencies. Install a decent high gain vertical as high as you can and tune it to your desired frequency. Pick up a cheapo 2 meter 440 HT like an Wouxun or Baofeng and communicate that way using FRS.

As long as your ATV travels are within a decent line of site with your base antenna you should be good to go.

With the current propagation conditions of the present solar cycle, you ain't gonna talk to your CB base anyhow, unless your riding around at odd hours.

Of course, my recommendation is illegal. I suppose you could get all legal like with a MURS station if'n you wanna be all legal and such.

You could even carry a roll up J Pole or make a little handheld yagi to increase your range.

Last edited:
Depending on your properties terrain and such, I would look at picking up a cheap 2 meter mobile that's modifiable for FRS frequencies. Install a decent high gain vertical as high as you can and tune it to your desired frequency. Pick up a cheapo 2 meter HT like an Wouxun or Baofeng and communicate that way using FRS.

As long as your ATV travels are within a decent line of site with your base antenna you should be good to go.

With the current propagation conditions of the present solar cycle, you ain't gonna talk to your CB base anyhow, unless your riding around at odd hours.

Of course, my recommendation is illegal. I suppose you could get all legal like with a MURS station if'n you wanna be all legal and such.

You could even carry a roll up J Pole or make a little handheld yagi to increase your range.
There's 2 meter repeaters all over the state I live in. Should be a price of cake to get licensed for that. You could check on the Internet for 2 meter repeaters in the area you plan on using two way communication.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.