1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Has anyone ever seen one of these?

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by guitar_199, Oct 20, 2021.

1. guitar_199

guitar_199 Sr. Member

It is a Midland branded antenna matcher/tuner.
    Not that I really think it would be THAT useful since 11m antennas are typically monoband... and you can tune them to match well on their own .....

I just like knowing about the equipment I have.
    It has no "model number" or anything else that identifies it......
    Any attempt I have made to search it up...... "nobody's home"!!!!!! It is like Google doesn't know these ever existed.

20211017_183738.jpg

2. Handy Andy

Handy Andy Do Your Research First, Then Decide...

The "Ground Plane - Beam" switch has me curious - so I can understand the desire to know more.

To me, the "Ground Plane" switch was for systems that had an antenna designed for 50 ohms Ω but wern't quite spot on due to issues with moisture rain wind or tuning out TVI...

Same applies for "Beam" - the antenna on that kind of system would / could be resonate, but have an impedance bump requiring tuning into a 72 ~ 75 Ω load "appearance" and again a TVI issue.

The Ground plane approach would be less focused on sharp tuning to cancel out reactive effects of proximity to trees, Other TV aerials - even RFI to other radios (tunable traps) while the "Beam" means what it says, this is for systems that are closer to Dipole operation and have a different impedance when at resonance - this can tune out the reactive effects by changing how "sharp" the tuning controls work with the coax connected to such a system.

The only thing would be to remove the covers and it may answer the reason for the switch - but might not for whom the manufacturer is or possibly drum up any sort of documentation.

These kinds of units are rare and even with Googles resources - is not always searchable.

3. guitar_199

guitar_199 Sr. Member

It definitely acts as an antenna switch. I neglected to show it.... not on the back are 3 SO239s...... transceiver, ground plane and beam. So the switch really does switch antennas but obviously does not allow for a beam with horizontal AND vertical polarization.

Since it doesn't have any kind of band switch I am going to assume that it can only handle enough adjustment for something on 11m. I still wonder how much power it can take.

Again... I really doubt that I would use it...I had just never seen one as a CB accessory.

4. AudioShockwav

AudioShockwav Extraterrestrial Admin
    Staff Member

Is there any model number on the back?

Jeff

5. NZ8N

NZ8N Well-Known Member

You could hook up the Vertical of a dual polarized antenna (Moonraker IV, PDL II, etc...) to the GR Plane port and the Horizontal to the Beam port. It does not have to be a Vertical Ground Plane on the upper half of the switch. Could also relabel it too, or even fancier, re-silkscreen it.

guitar_199 likes this.
  6. guitar_199

guitar_199 Sr. Member

No sir. I have not opened it up..... but on the outside.... no.

7. midnight special

midnight special Sr. Member

looks like a gc electronics copy,,, the gc models name for fame was even if swr was good using the tuner helped eliminate tvi,,, this was when radios did 4 watts and tvs still used outside antennas or rabbit ears,,,,the added switch was to have one less jumper in line,,,,

codecxbox and Handy Andy like this.
  8. barefootindian

barefootindian Supporting Member

You could also try MIDLAND themselves. Their cb radios are very popular in the UK and also in ITALY.

9. barefootindian

barefootindian Supporting Member

guitar_199 the www address is midlandeurope.com but thats not a link to the address. They have a support section if you scroll down past the radio section. Hopefully you will be able to get any answers you seek from them.
    Hope this helps

10. guitar_199

guitar_199 Sr. Member

Thanks for that. I will look into it.

11. AudioShockwav

AudioShockwav Extraterrestrial Admin
    Staff Member

Try

https://midlandusa.com/pages/support

Don't know if they will have anything on a piece that old but worth a try.
    Jeff

12. sunbulls

sunbulls Sr. Member

IMO it’s a valuable project box because it’s metal. For starters I dislike rivets. Those would all be ground off and replaced with screws and star washers. I can’t say those cheap rockers that are seen in many CB antenna switches like that thrill me either. I can think of a few projects for that box, but I’m afraid most of them would be time consuming. For me, quality concerns regarding all things dealing with RF take precedence.