• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Has this radio been modifed?

T23

Apr 17, 2010
I have a Galaxy dx 44v here that I bought at a pawn shop, I was reading the specs and it stats that this radio should deadkey 8 watts max on high, it deadkeys 15-20 watts and swings even further, any ideas of what may have been done to this radio? I know this radio is suposed to have one 1969 final and those will do about 25 watts peak.

Mosfet mod maby or maby its been peaked and tuned?

T23

I have a Galaxy dx 44v here that I bought at a pawn shop, I was reading the specs and it stats that this radio should deadkey 8 watts max on high, it deadkeys 15-20 watts and swings even further, any ideas of what may have been done to this radio? I know this radio is suposed to have one 1969 final and those will do about 25 watts peak.

Mosfet mod maby or maby its been peaked and tuned?

T23

Any of the Galaxy 'DX xx V' radios are Export Radios. Which means they all have dual finals among other features. With the RF Output knob turned all of the way up, it should have a dead key of 8 watts. If you see more; then someone has turned it up inside the radio.

This will make the radio blow the finals faster - if you run it higher that 8. Keep the dead key at 8 watts or less. Either you can just keep it adjusted for 8 watts or less, or you can turn down the high dead key pot inside the radio, or have a local tech do it.
But it should be fine if you keep it set at 8 watts - or less.

I stand corrected. According to the CBRadiomagazine dude, it is a single final radio.

Galaxy DX 44V Review

" . . . This is a single 1969 final radio that can do around 25 watts of output. While there are newer dual final versions of the DX 33V and DX 55V which can do 40 watts PEP the 44V was not included in the new high power (HP) line . . . "

IF it does have a single 1969 transistor in it; NO MORE THAN 4 WATTS output/dead key on the highest setting! Otherwise, it won't be long before it does fry.

IF someone changed the final out to a MOSFET; then no more than 6 watts dead key output is recommended.

hey Rob, it would be easy to do a dual final up-grade to it....all of the cutout`s and holes are in the board already.
FG Best used to stick 2290`s in them mounted to the back of the case...there used to be a picture of one around here somewhere...so you never know what the last guy that was in it did.

Jeff

hey Rob, it would be easy to do a dual final up-grade to it....all of the cutout`s and holes are in the board already.
FG Best used to stick 2290`s in them mounted to the back of the case...there used to be a picture of one around here somewhere...so you never know what the last guy that was in it did.

Jeff
Yup.
A picture of the finals inside the radio would quickly sort this out.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.