• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hatchet job or just Texas Star Quality?

psycho

Running a special on our rooms!
Aug 25, 2006
Floriduh
Back in the early 1980's when this Texas Star was made, do these finals look like the were butchered in with a 30 watt pencil or are they factory? I am not a fan of Texas Stars but I think this soldering job is too messy for even texas star. Bids are up to $90 for this 30 year old TS 250.....Ebay amazes again. I just noticed the pill screws for each transistor are different but I have seen that before in some amps.

Texas Star MC250 with pre-amp, am, ssb radio linear amplifier amp | eBay

Last edited:

Definitely a hatchet job. Those aren't the correct finals in that amp. The ones that are suppose to be in there are Motorola SRF2769's. Looks like the power cord has been replaced too.

But hey.. at least the finals got put in the right way! (Outside of the horriblly messy solder job) Some people install them backwards! :oops:

~Cheers~

Reactions: 1 person
Definitely a hatchet job. Those aren't the correct finals in that amp. The ones that are suppose to be in there are Motorola SRF2769's. Looks like the power cord has been replaced too.

But hey.. at least the finals got put in the right way! (Outside of the horriblly messy solder job) Some people install them backwards! :oops:

~Cheers~

SRF2769s? Amp must be a little older than I thought.

Back in the early 1980's when this Texas Star was made, do these finals look like the were butchered in with a 30 watt pencil or are they factory? I am not a fan of Texas Stars but I think this soldering job is too messy for even texas star. Bids are up to $90 for this 30 year old TS 250.....Ebay amazes again. I just noticed the pill screws for each transistor are different but I have seen that before in some amps.

Texas Star MC250 with pre-amp, am, ssb radio linear amplifier amp | eBay

I guess they figured that if the tabs would not solder down good then piling enough solder on top would help weigh it down and keep it in place. :laugh:

BTW your sig. line says: "DAV Lifetime Member
Why worry about Obama winning in November....the world is supposed to end Dec 23rd."

When did we get the extra two days grace period? The date was always December 21/2012. :laugh:

That one looks like the transistors were replaced by someone who needs more soldering practice, but QC in all back alley CB amps isn't exactly a priority.

I guess they figured that if the tabs would not solder down good then piling enough solder on top would help weigh it down and keep it in place. :laugh:

BTW your sig. line says: "DAV Lifetime Member
Why worry about Obama winning in November....the world is supposed to end Dec 23rd."

When did we get the extra two days grace period? The date was always December 21/2012. :laugh:

21st.......we stand corrected and I fixed it!

Last edited:
That one looks like the transistors were replaced by someone who needs more soldering practice, but QC in all back alley CB amps isn't exactly a priority.

You can't replace transistors in a Texas Star real easy......slow and methodical or the trace(s) pull up with the transistor flanges. 40 watt 825 degree iron is what's needed.

SRF2769s? Amp must be a little older than I thought.

Yeah, originally those MC250's ran the SRF2769's. I have one of those amps in the back room, all original. They're one of the earliest runs of the T/S 250's. Mine works great, just that one of the lights on the buttons is intermittent.

The MRF455's are close to the old SRF2769's for output, I think the SRF's are rated at 65W apiece.

~Cheers~

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.