• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Heater Box

moviking

Nov 24, 2011
Table Rock Lake, Branson mo area
My version of mounting a 16 in plain sight while adding a rear seat armrest

ts1.jpg

ts2.jpg

ts3.jpg

i have had personal experience with a few 16s and they will get warm real quick
but the fan kit for that amp will help tremedously

It never ceases to amaze me that people can take one look at a picture and decide it will or won't work, having no personal experience with it.

I'm not saying it "wont work"...I'm just going by what I've seen running my own box's...My 16 pill Davemade gets hot enough just after a few minutes of talking, you could fry eggs on it...My old 8 pill use to get pretty warm too...Just depends I guess on how big a bucket-mouth you are as to how hot one will get.

I'm not saying it "wont work"...I'm just going by what I've seen running my own box's...My 16 pill Davemade gets hot enough just after a few minutes of talking, you could fry eggs on it...My old 8 pill use to get pretty warm too...Just depends I guess on how big a bucket-mouth you are as to how hot one will get.

Lol, I hear you, not long on the key here, but unless I need it, I just stay on the driver anyway.

It never ceases to amaze me that people can take one look at a picture and decide it will or won't work, having no personal experience with it.

You sir have absolutely NO idea whatsoever about my experience with solidstate amplifiers and their cooling requirements but I can assure you it goes back almost 30 years and covers everything from about 0.96MHz up to 450 MHz and powers up to 25 Kw. I do in fact know what a solidstate amp will and will not do with poor or inadequate airflow and I do know what constitutes poor airflow. Sure the amp will work, never said it wouldn't, and you will make lots of contacts with it, but that does not mean that it will not overheat and run the risk of blowing due to poor cooling. I have seen many two pill amps fry because the air flow to the heatsink was blocked. It is yours and you can do as you want but if/when the amp dies please remember this thread.

Reactions: 1 person
You sir have absolutely NO idea whatsoever about my experience with solidstate amplifiers and their cooling requirements but I can assure you it goes back almost 30 years and covers everything from about 0.96MHz up to 450 MHz and powers up to 25 Kw. I do in fact know what a solidstate amp will and will not do with poor or inadequate airflow and I do know what constitutes poor airflow. Sure the amp will work, never said it wouldn't, and you will make lots of contacts with it, but that does not mean that it will not overheat and run the risk of blowing due to poor cooling. I have seen many two pill amps fry because the air flow to the heatsink was blocked. It is yours and you can do as you want but if/when the amp dies please remember this thread.

Uh, I was speaking of your experience with MY enclosure, I know many, many here have more time than I do with amps.

Uh, I was speaking of your experience with MY enclosure, I know many, many here have more time than I do with amps.

Makes no matter what enclosure it is in. Experience with any specific enclosure is moot. The point is that any enclosure that does not have air incoming and outflow will allow the heat to build up. Without air flow through the heatsink fins things will begin to get hot fast. By contrast I have seen 1200 watt solidstate amps run almost at room temperature with just moderate airflow across a decent sized heatsink.In fact I am working on modifying one for use on the 6m ham band right now. It will run 1200 watts out 24/7, in fact it did for over 5 years continuous 24/7 use in a TV transmitter. The cooling requirements are minimal but the key is to keep the air moving all the time and not to recirculate the heated air.

I just remembered something that I wish I had a picture of. One fellow ran an amp in an enclosure under his seat. He modified his heater/AC ductwork to accept a flexible hose about 1 1/2 inches in diameter and used the heater/AC fan to cool the amp when he used it. the air came from the air ducts and simply passed across the heatsink and then into the interior of the car. :laugh:Another one ran a Heath SB-220 tube amp in the trunk and ran air piping all the way back to the trunk.:laugh:

Makes no matter what enclosure it is in. Experience with any specific enclosure is moot. The point is that any enclosure that does not have air incoming and outflow will allow the heat to build up. Without air flow through the heatsink fins things will begin to get hot fast. By contrast I have seen 1200 watt solidstate amps run almost at room temperature with just moderate airflow across a decent sized heatsink.In fact I am working on modifying one for use on the 6m ham band right now. It will run 1200 watts out 24/7, in fact it did for over 5 years continuous 24/7 use in a TV transmitter. The cooling requirements are minimal but the key is to keep the air moving all the time and not to recirculate the heated air.

I just remembered something that I wish I had a picture of. One fellow ran an amp in an enclosure under his seat. He modified his heater/AC ductwork to accept a flexible hose about 1 1/2 inches in diameter and used the heater/AC fan to cool the amp when he used it. the air came from the air ducts and simply passed across the heatsink and then into the interior of the car. :laugh:Another one ran a Heath SB-220 tube amp in the trunk and ran air piping all the way back to the trunk.:laugh:

Thats what I had in mind with this box, the front (as you can see) is open, that dome on the top has a grill under it and does let air flow though that material, the back (which I didn't post a pic of) is wide open and sets about 1 1/2" off the back seat.

I didn't know which way the air flow would want to go so I figured I'd give it all ways possible, most pushes to the front, I can feel it when the fan kicks on if I have my hand in front of it.

Now in the summer if I have to, I'll pull the top off (was built for that)

I did think about adding a hose from the floor a/c vent but was concerned about possible condensation .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.