• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Heathkit HW-101 and a limp toob...

Why a Heathkit HW-101?

• Benton Harbor Green

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kopcicle

Feb 17, 2016
Several weeks ago it was left in "tune" for several days. There were real tears. Kari winces and sticks her lower lip out every time she sees me working on it .There were extenuating circumstances that I won't go into.

The result initially was a bulged and open C906, one of the 6146's unsoldered a plate cap,and little else in the way of visual damage.

After getting the bias under control I was able to tune predictably enough . The upper bands are weak of course but I' have noway to test the 6CL6 driver or the 6146's other than in circuit. I do have a Tempo 2020 to test the finals in but the 6CL6 will have to be by replacement.

I have gotten far enough that I can report 55-60W on 80m , 80w on 40m, near 100W on 20m , and tapering off into less than 20w on 10m.

Then the saga of th mic amp and little to no drive. Mid-band on any band requires the "load cap" to be fully meshed. Max output for any band is in the upper few Kc of the band. If I remember right this could be the result of low drive. Then V1, no matter what recommended tube I put in the socket I get only 2-5W SSB output with mic gain maxed , tuned to 80-100W, and even a Turner +2 turned all the way up and shouting into it. Depressing. My next plan is to find a 6CQ8 to put in the hole and more completely understand where the ALC voltage comes from and the drive path to and through the balanced modulator and on to the 6CL6 ...

Have at it. I'm open to any real or surreal suggestions. I have a bunch of maintenance and restoration work to do while I'm in here. I see no reason to not look anywhere for any issue. Eventually it will become a full chassis tear down and board by board cleaning. For now though it has to work.

Why expend so much effort on a HW-101? Well, because, Heathkit. I'll borrow a phrase that I normally dislike intensely. "If I have to explain you wouldn't understand." :-/

Then the attachments output-page-001.jpg output-page-002.jpg output-page-003.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.