• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

height gap between vert and horizontal?

Whiplash-265

Aug 14, 2011
Ontario, Canada
considering getting a tower up before the weather rally goes cold...
is there a recommended height gap i should use between an A99 with the ground plane kit and a horizontal (thinking about a Maco 3 element on a rotor)? doing 30 ft of tower w/ a 10ft mast...or a 40 ft tower, have to see what the height above anchoring point will be, but should have about 5-6 feet to play with

thanx

ya i was worried about the angle of radiation effects on the horizontal Robb if they were too close together. Much appreciate the feedback.

Looking at the bag o' popcorn i'm guessing some contradicting opinions might be expected? lol

Hello,

You migth consider a search on this forum, i know we have been discussing this subject before.

Bare in mind, the above ONLY applies IF the elements of the yagi are "dc" grounded to the boom (which is not always the case) and the boom of course has a "dc" connection to the the mast.
and the radials of the vertical are "dc" grounded to the mast
Luckly, all three above is often the case.. but not always.

Just take your ohm meter put it at whatever value ohms you want, place the "wire" in the gap where normal the radial would go and place the other "wire" at a element of the Yagi.
If the reading is a "o" your good to go!

Make sure the gap between the horizontal beam and vertical is as short as possible.
To make the best of the situation...make sure the mast is connected as close to a element position as possible.
If you would look from a above at your vertical you will notice a nice "+" shape. Where one is the boom and the other the element of the yagi.
The vertical must be placed as close as possible to that crossing point....
Using simply the boom as "radials" wont work as good as you only have the first couple of feet boomlength.
The vertical will only "see" two very large radials...and it is known it is better to have many short ones instead of two long ones.
The pattern of your vertical migth become in that case slightly directional in that case.

But..on the otherhand...your vertical is a halve wave vertical...and although i always recommend to use radials as much as possible, it is known that if you dont use it...a halve wave vertical is the one who cares less.

Kind regards,

Henry HPSD
19SD348

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.