• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Heil Gold Line Mic on RCI-2970

w4bss

Aug 7, 2011
I have a RCI-2970 that I use on 10 meters and I have a spare Heil Gold Line Mic that I would like to use on this radio.

My question is can the Heil be wired to work on the RCI? I believe it doesn't require any power from the radio since it isn't a power mic.

Also since this is a dual element mic how will it sound on the RCI?

Thanks for the help!

W4BSS

I did a search but I did not see this write up.
Thanks for steering me in the right direction Dave!!

73s

Any reports of how well it sounds?

Be noice if you can get someone to record your audio.

I haven't tore into it yet. I will post my results soon and I hope to get a recording! I lost my job so that is first priority for right now and trying to please my wife.

Thanks everyone for the pointers I hope to have this done by the weekend.

Also do you guys think I will need a Mic Preamp to make the Heil work.
I was also told you don't need a Preamp with a Heil since it doesn't require voltage to work.

I know on my Kenwood TS-950SDX I have the Heil connected straight to the radio with no preamp and it SOUNDS GOOOOOOD! I know that radio has alot to do with it sounding like that. If only I could get the 2970 to sound that good LOL!!

There is a little bit of an impedance mismatch between the mic and the radio, but you should be able to run the mic without a preamp. Try it without first; if it doesn't work, you'll have to put a preamp inline.

The mic audio circuit in the 2970 is designed for low impedance mics, about 500-600 ohms. The Heil mic is rated at 1000 ohms, if it has the GM-4 and GM-5 elements. The Vintage model of this mic is 30k ohms, and will definitely not work with the 2970; a preamp will be needed if you have that model.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. :)

~Cheers~

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.