• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HEIL ICM icom only mic.

But I am curious, if I hook a foot switch up to it, does that auto bypass the PTT switch? I am ultimately looking for a hands free boom mic setup.

No, it does not bypass the PTT switch on the microphone.
It just connects in parallel, so you can PTT the radio with either switch .......

I also have my Heil ICM boom mounted and use it with a Heil handheld "trigger" PTT switch, and on occasion with the foot switch.
The PTT switch on the mic is still available and active......

I have one on my 9100 and 7610. Gets good reports. I know these rigs aren't what you have, but
Kevin,
Mudfoot had one for sale recently. Here’s the thread:
https://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/icom-icm-hand-mic.250418/#post-699351

Still for sale.

It's a nice mic and locals say my voice sounds natural. I just used it as a hand mic. It needs a boom, but a boom isn't practical for me. I replaced it with the Heil hand (clam shell) mic. It get the same or better reports. I like it much better.

Reactions: Riverman
Okay thats what I was looking for, thanks. How would you rate this microphone, is it a worthy purchase? I can get it for $106 shipped

Keep in mind that this is an ICOM transceiver ONLY microphone.
I am very pleased with the performance of the Heil ICM microphone with my 7300 ....
The mic gain level on the radio is significantly lower than with other mics used on the 7300, with an increase in audio output and power output.

Yes, I agree.
The ICM will drive the radio somewhat better with less mic gain.
I run my mic gain around 10% ~ 12 % ...... with the ICM ....
Plus it is hands free on the Heil swivel boom it's mounted on .....

I do not know how I missed the replies in this thread. for some reason I’m not getting alerted to my notifications.

I missed the part about there being a used one for sale, and I ended up buying this microphone brand new. And the foot switch, that was a game changer for me that foot switch I wasn’t sure how I would like it at first but now that I’m using that I absolutely love it. Until my dog stepped on it while I was talking about something I should’ve not of been talking about ha ha

I was using the ICOM SM 50 Desktop mic prior to this, which everybody told me I had excellent audio quality but I wanted to get the boom mount set up. and everything has worked out well for me.

however, the group that I talk to down here on the a.m. band has told me that my audio his dropped off significantly. I have adjusted the mic game and anything else that I can get my hands on but I can’t seem to get it back up any louder than I was before. But they do all agree that it has a nice sound, just low audio now. It seems like most of my options are grayed out.

but I do understand that this is a ham rig, we have such a large group of locals down here did have been talking on the CB radio for so many years that I’m pondering the thought I’m just getting a dedicated CB and leaving my ham rig for, well, the ham channels

I started using the Heil iCM silver desk top mic back in 2010 for my stock Icom IC-761, with no audio EQ gear. It works great. I’v compared the Icom IC-761 standard HM-36 hand mic with the Heil iCM desktop mic wit quite a few different Ham friends that have a lot of experience with using transmit audio EQ’s. The majority of them are in agreement that the Heil iCM audio has a much more fuller range of voice audio spectrum. Richer lower end tones and crisper higher end tones which creates a wider fatter audio compared to the Icom HM-36 hand mic. Which can help quite a bit when trying to call a DX station through a pile-up. The voice audio spectrum from the HM-36 is a lot thinner and narrower. Less lower / higher end tones. Nearly everyone said that the voice audio from the HM-36 sounds more pinched with more mid range tone and less lower and higher end tones. I don‘t have a deep booming bassie voice, but my voice audio tone does lean more to the mid and lower end of the voice audio spectrum. The Heil iCM desktop mic brings out more of my lower tones and gives my voice audio a more natural sound. A couple of the guys that was helping me compare both mic’s said that if they didn’t know I was using the Heil iCM mic and was talking to me for the first time, they would have thought that I was using a modern HF radio with the built in transmit audio EQ adjustments. The Heil iCM desktop mic by its self wont give you that FM broadcast studio audio quality where the audio is being run through an external audio sound board, but it will give your voice a much fuller and wider range of audio tone quality vs. a hand mic.

I also use the same Heil iCM desktop mic with my Icom IC-706MKIIG, which I use in the shack for 6 / 2 / 432 side band. The iCM mic works well with the 706MKIIG. I haven’t done any audio comparing between the stock 706MKIIG HM-103 hand mic and the iCM mic yet, but I do get a lot of contacts commenting on the good quality of my audio when using the Heil iCM mic. I do know that with the 706MKIIG HM-103 hand mic, it’s similar to the HM-36 hand mic in the since that its audio quality is a bit thinner and not as fat / wide as is with the Heil iCM.

The Heil iCM mic is not for the Icom “Pro” line of radios. I’m not sure how well the iCM works with the modern Icom HF radios like the IC-7300 and so on.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I own many different HEIL microphones including the iCM,FIN,PR-20,Goldline PRO, PR-781&” & PR-22.I find that the FIN & PR-20 which use the same element sound the best on an ICOM 7600,756 PRO II, & 7700.The iCM sounds better on the 746 and 703+ and these were all tested on the air in my shack.I will have a New 7610 this week and I plan to use my FIN with it as well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.