• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

help choosing an antenna

9deuce

Jan 6, 2014
THAT LAKESIDEBOSS
hello guys and gals

im about to buy an antenna for my bearcat 980 for my base station.... i see so many on the market other claim this.. that... this n that... lol!!!... well i figured id ask here b4 i made the purcase... i have a inverted v dipole but wanna upgrade.... i have a 35 ft mast i can add one to i found a list of antennas that i want to choose from..... i know beams are beter but i need to wait a while b4 i step up to that size and price range.... heres the list maybe you guyss can help me decide....

MACO v58
IMAX 2000
Sirio Tornado 27
GPA100 Venom
Solarcon Antron 99

with that mentioned i live in a place thats is a high industrial area....
there maybe a mile to 2 miles away.....and a half mile from me we have a HUGE i mean HUGE high voltage lines that supplys these companys.... so
keep in mind that i have all that to deal with.... so if one will be beter then the other for my situation let me know..... i just dont wanna get one find out my dipole is beter.... !!!LOL!!! thnx guys god bless and have a nice day

None of those verticals are going to be better than your dipole for DX however they'll be a lot better for local.

If DXing is your main interest you're at the point where the only way to get better performance is to look at beams. I know I keep bleating on about them but a Moxon is cheap to build and can be turned with a cheap TV rotator.

My first choice, although unwieldy, would be a Sigma 4000, LW-150, or whatever name they go by nowadays.

If money were not issue, I'd get a Zero Five 5/8 wave.

Another great antenna (if you can find one, and if $ is not an issue) would be the Wolf .64 wave.

However, since money and space constraints are indeed BOTH issues for me, if/when I ever take down my Shakespeare Army Stick, I'm going with the Hygain Super Penetrator SPT-500:

Hy-Gain

Reactions: 1 person
Most man made noise is vertically polarized. If noise is a factor I wouldn't buy a A99 for sure. A Moxon would be good for working DX. However if you like talking local you can get a vertical to match your talk zone radius.

thnx for the replys fellaz im still undecided but like beer says the maco is looking like the best bet atm i can always run an antenna switch for my dipole when needed but every ones opinion matters to me since ive never tried these if you know what i mean

god bless have a good one

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.